FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Cloud Storage for Independent Filmmaker - 10TB Required

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Best Cloud Storage for Independent Filmmaker - 10TB Required
on Dec 16, 2015 at 1:57:05 pm

Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of an internet search, and have also skimmed the CC forums, and although there's some options, I wanted to run the question past the community before committing to the time and $ required.

I am a independent filmmaker currently 1.5 years through an adventure, surfing my way from Alaska to Patagonia on a motorcycle. Shooting on Sony A7s and Canon 5d. Roughly another 5 months left of the adventure...

Anyway, I anticipate that by the time I sit down for the edit, I may have about 8 TB of footage. I've been double copying the external drives and sending them back to my brother in Australia who is looking after them for me.

However, I just had 3 hardrives fail on me in the last month!! Crazy I know, but the motorcycle/adventure lifestyle is not kind to electronics - luckily they were blank to begin with.

I want to upload the existing TB's up to the cloud, somewhere secure, with up to 10TB of storage and easy to access if need be. It's more of just a third backup, and I don't really intend of having to download the footage again (hopefully), but it's better to be safe than sorry right.

Value for money is also a factor for me, I havn't had an income for 1.5 years whilst on the adventure! But of course, am willing to pay if the free ones don't hold up...

Anyway, I just wanted to see what the filmmaking community thought, rather than just another tech blog.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt Hannon

http://www.slowburningdreams.com

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: Best Cloud Storage for Independent Filmmaker - 10TB Required
on Dec 16, 2015 at 6:07:25 pm

Hi Matt, sounds quite an adventure. This is the perennial problem of the traveller. I did my trip many years ago before things went digital. I traveled light and the only thing I bought other than food was film for my camera which I used to post back home from time to time. In your situation you could just buy more SD cards, they are very cheap these days, virtually indestructable and don't take up much room.

Or, ask your brother to get something like a WD My Cloud. Once set up you can access it from anywhere and upload or download as you wish. The advantage is that if you are talking about 10TB that's an awful lot to get back from a cloud server. Whereas having your own sever would mean all your files would be there waiting for you when you eventually get back.

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Dec 16, 2015 at 6:46:57 pm

Hey Roger,

Thanks for reply.

Yeah I have been making double copies on external hardrives - and I anticipate buying one of those 10TB external drive things from Lacie or whoever when it comes time to edit the film.

However, I just want to back up all that footage one more time on the cloud, and do so relatively cheaply (the hardrives are costing me a lot as it is, and then there is the thousands of dollars to buy the 10TB ext hardrive down the line for editing).

I do not anticipate ever having to download the footage from the cloud.

I just want it there as a fail-safe, just in case things hit the fan... y'know.

I've looked at some reviews, but I just thought there might be some people out there who have done something similar.

Thanks again mate...

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 16, 2015 at 7:20:47 pm

The "my cloud" is not for editing purposes. It's just a box that sits somewhere waiting for your files. It's online all the time just like rented space on somewhere else. The WD "My Cloud" is not expensive and could work out cheaper than rented cloud services. You would transfer your files from the WD box to your edit disks directly via ethernet when you get back. Pretty simple.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:50:10 pm

Cloud storage may be fine but what sort of upload speeds do you get in Alaska. I know the internet is crap in Australia so sourcing files later might also be very slow.

You could consider backing up to external SSD drives and sending them home. Samsung make an external 2TB SSD. Nice and fast as well and hopefully a lot more robust than conventional drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]