FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Offline/Online Necessary For 2k?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Kester
Is Offline/Online Necessary For 2k?
on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:01:36 pm

Hi,

I'm starting an edit on a short film. The clips I'm working with are ProRes HQ at 2K resolution (2048 x 1152). I'm wondering if FCP 7/my computer will handle this footage fine or if I should convert to 1080p and do an offline/online edit. The clips look fine in a test sequence but wondering if I will experience more problems down the road if left at 2K.

If memory serves, the machine I'll be editing on is a 2012 iMac with 8gb of RAM. Getting a bit older, but has always been a workhorse. And I'll be working off a fast Glyph Studio RAID via Firewire 800.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Is Offline/Online Necessary For 2k?
on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:48:11 pm

I personally would work with proxy footage and only import the full-rez at the final stages.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 11, 2015 at 12:23:20 am

2K is BARELY bigger than 1080. So going to 1080 isn't really going "offline quality," unless you lower the codec as well...say ProRes Proxy. If you have a fast enough drive, and more current computer with decent RAM, you might go for it. If it's older, and slower, going to ProRes Proxy

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 11, 2015 at 1:11:22 am

yeah, i'd say test it.
if it feels good on your older machine, then go for it.

things to consider:
exports, and moving files around will take a lot longer.
how will your system cope w playing 2 streams? (simple composting, 2-cam situations)
do you like to scroll through your rushes a lot? test that, it can be taxing

if you want to go to a lower-res for offline, ProResLT 1280x720 is a nice way to go
then you really do see some savings.

nick

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
on Dec 11, 2015 at 1:18:56 am

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was kind of wondering if the footage was big enough to make a difference at all. Think I'll probably just go for it with the 2K clips. That seems like a better solution than storing a whole extra set of Proxy clips on my hard drive (because that's what I would have to do, right?).

BK

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
on Dec 11, 2015 at 1:24:53 am

Thanks for the extra feedback Nick. Didn't see it before I posted my previous message. Will definitely watch out for those potential problem areas early on in the edit to gauge whether or not I should continue with the 2K clips.

BK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]