FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor- Gremlins Making My Life A Nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon Henry
Compressor- Gremlins Making My Life A Nightmare
on Dec 9, 2015 at 5:40:06 pm

Hi All,

I am having terrible issues with compressor and although i do not use it often i am not a novice to it..

.. previously it was happy to convert a single 45mins to an hour of QT file that was exported from FCP as self contained file into Mpeg 2.. it did this albeit a tad slowly .. i use to leave it to do its thing overnight...

The problem i am having seems to be now quiet eractic .. when i look at the history to see the progess of the conversion it just seems to stop at certain points and just keeps counting the hours up 48rs plus and so on to complete but it never finishes the job .. i just have to stop it eventiually and start again.. and then it does the same when it decides it wants to... i also have shut down the computer and restarted it.. i never use any other apps either when using Compressor

So i have now had to resort to breaking the footage into 15 mins segements and then putting that through and that sort of works on and off..

i have have reset the background processing but not sure what else to do.. are there any cache files or anything else i should dump.. if so where are they as i cant find them?

I have to do a few theatre jobs, and deliver a DVD..the process i do is as follows

1) Edit in FCP
2) Export a sel contained QT File once i have finished the edit
3) import this QT file into Compressor to convert to Mpeg 2
4) Then import Mpeg 2 footage to DVD Studio Pro to make menues and burn dvd for final delivery

This compression part is really very tedious and very time consuming especailly as it is hit and miss on if it will finish the job.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what the problem with compressor maybe and if i should look at any settings?

Or if anyone thinks i should use another path to to get to DVD Studio Pro?

i am using Compressor 3.5 version 3..

as i just went check the version the final 3 mins left of the current output has now sudenly started counting up in time-- how very frustrating as i now have to start again... as this will just continue to just count up. sooo frustrating!!

any thoughts or advise much apprecaiated

Thanks

Gordon

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
Re: Compressor- Gremlins Making My Life A Nightmare
on Dec 9, 2015 at 5:49:30 pm

oh i forgot to mention...

i export the footage from FCP as 422Lt self contained movie.. i do this to keep best quality and resultion for the end process of burning a dvd . so the file size into Compressor is very large in size 40 to 50 gig if it was to be compressed as a single clip...

is this okay?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 9, 2015 at 7:19:59 pm

I don't bother making the video mpeg2 when importing it into DVD Studio Pro: it will handle the conversion itself, and the results have always looked good for me. I render a master from FCP7 using ProRes422.

I think since your workflow USED to work and now doesn't, its not the app's fault, but something changed/wrong with your hardware. Insufficient virtual memory space is one of my first guesses in these situations. have you truly deleted and emptied the trash of all old renders, for example? Are you rendering to a scratch drive, or on the boot drive where the app lives (which is bad practice)? Any OS updates or software changes?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 9, 2015 at 8:57:34 pm

Personally I always use Compressor first because there is so much control over the encode and when the assets are brought into DVDSP the job finishes far quicker than otherwise. However, things do get screwed up sometimes but a quick scan by Digital Rebellion's Compressor Repair does the trick.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressorrepair/

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:04:54 am
Last Edited By Christopher McDonell on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:07:20 am

If you don't need to use FCP during compression, why wouldn't you just Send to Compressor. You can do that with 3 but not 4. I miss being able to do that.

Alternatively, why not just Export a QT reference file (self-contained unchecked). You're then pointing Compressor to your original media files without having to recompress them first.

As to your problem, I think Roger raised a good point about insufficient disk space and we'll wait to see how you respond.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:09:43 am

hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply..

i do agree.. the whole process of exporting QT file whic is about 50 gigs and then having to send it to compressor is very time consuming.. but always seems to be a traied and safe bet FOR ME .. however very time cosuming... though as you quiet rightly mentioned the payback of it being very quick to wrap up at the final build and burn stage of DVDSP is worth that grief...

Is it me that only thinks that DVDSP is very rock solid once you get your head around and very reliable ..where as Compressor is the weak link in the FCP,Compressor, DVDSP chain?.. i have read a few people mention digital rebellion on these forums so i will check it out.. i am just finally finishing this project after a lot of stress and going about it in a very long winded route due to the glitches with compressor.. once its all done i will dowload/purcahse it.. though a litle concerned that it may have any side affects with FCP?

thanks

g

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2015 at 4:08:28 am

I think El Cap borked your Compressor. You should now probably upgrade to Compressor 4, but you could try to use Mpeg Streamclip this one time instead.

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Dec 10, 2015 at 12:55:40 am

Hi mark,

thanks for the reply .. i have never sent to compression via FCP as plowing through these forums the genral consensus as been to make a self contained QT movie then send that to Compressor.. so to avoid any glitches ... so i have always done that... slow process but seesm to work when compressor works that is...

In respect of my disk issue... defo use a seperate disk as a scratch disk and i always use a 1T for each project then when it is all done... i dump the rushes etc.. can you please provide more info about trashing renders... are you talking FCp renders or compressor renders.. ermmexcuse my ignorance but i am presuming compressor has no renders? if so where?? i have recently updated to El capatain.

i try to keep the quality work flow as high as possible all the way through as the final disk is used as master to duplicate to around 2oo disks so that is why i use pro res 422Lt the poin that to compressor

amy thoughts welcom and thankyou

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:09:38 am

[Gordon Henry] " i have recently updated to El capatain.
"

This might be your problem. I didn't think Compressor 3 worked with El Cap? Motion 3 doesn't, that I know. I'm on El Cap as well and have been using Compressor 4.

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Dec 10, 2015 at 1:15:28 am

Hi Christopher,

thanks for the email and info.. it is a mind field and does my head in.. but it had occured that it maybe sofware upgrade related.. though in fairness it was doing it randomly befor ethe upgrade but not as bad.. and as i use it now and then when i have this type of project i lived with it.. but this time round, i have been at my wits end...

do you think i would be just better of upgrading to the new version of compressor... any thoughts fellas..?

Thanks again...

g

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:02:23 pm

[Gordon Henry] "do you think i would be just better of upgrading to the new version of compressor... any thoughts fellas..?
"

As for this question, all I can say is that v.4 is supported by Apple and v.3 is not. So if you plan on using Compressor now or in the future, might as well update..

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 10, 2015 at 5:57:08 pm
Last Edited By Christopher McDonell on Dec 10, 2015 at 5:58:03 pm

[Gordon Henry] "i have never sent to compression via FCP as plowing through these forums the genral consensus as been to make a self contained QT movie then send that to Compressor.."

Hi Gordon,

First of all, here's something from Apple re: QT Reference files vs Self-Contained:

When you export a QuickTime movie from Final Cut Pro using File > Export > QuickTime Movie (not QuickTime Conversion), you have a choice of making a reference or self-contained movie. Self-contained means the video and audio data is placed inside the file and it does not require any external files in order to play back. You can hand this file to anyone else and they will be able to play it, providing they have the codec installed.

A reference movie is a much smaller file that simply points to your existing media or Final Cut Pro render files. If your timeline is fully or partially rendered, it can be quicker to export than a self-contained movie because some of the work will have already been done. The downside is that the movie becomes unusable if the render files are moved or deleted, so reference movies are best used for temporary purposes and not for permanent archiving.

Reference files are temporary but vastly smaller in size. I just checked a 100 min. project I did a while back. The self-contained QT is 170 GB. The reference QT – 2 GB. So there ya go. I personally use reference files for Compressor, then create a self-contained for my archives when everything's done and dusted.

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Dec 11, 2015 at 10:50:20 am

Hi Christopher..

thanks for the reply.. that heads was really helpful...and will certainly help my issue of footage volume putting through Compressor etc.. excuse my slight naivety as not as experienced as you with compressor and DVDSP path.

in a breakdown... of my work flow am i correct in saying

1 )When i have finished my edit and rendered it fully..( FCP 7 )

2 ) make a reference file as appose to a self contained QT Movie.

3) import that Reference file into Compressor and convert the file to Mpeg 2 which allows me to use it with DVDSP etc

4) make my master dvd

5) then also somewhere along the lines make a Self Contained Movie for future archives etc

is this correct??

can i ask is there any difference in quality from the self contained QT file and the reference file?

Also curious what would you recommend as Self Contained movie for your archives ....H264? It has to be of high quality but also not use too many gigs!!

Thanks for your time..

G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]