FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unlinked media strangeness...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Unlinked media strangeness...
on Dec 9, 2015 at 8:18:04 am

Strange occurrence...
I'm having an unlink problem for seemingly no reason.

I'm working on a 30 sec commercial-- that for no reason, started to have several missing un-linked video files when I came back to work this morning. Trying to reconnect them like I normally would, they keep re-linking to the wrong video clip,,,,but the folder where these clips reside, are the right clips when I open that folder and look. But they are the wrong clips in the timeline. They are linking to the wrong clip in this same project. Never seen this.

Question: I recently purchased a 1 TB external hard drive, and forgot to format it Mac OS Extended Journaled. So, could this external hard drive that is MS DOS FAT cause a problem like this? I did an earlier short project with no link issues.

Should I copy all the origin media to another drive, reformat it to Mac OS Extended Journaled, and then put the files back on this drive? Or would this cause more problems?

Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Unlinked media strangeness...
on Dec 9, 2015 at 3:43:54 pm

It's possible that it's the drive, especially if you have big media files. FAT formatting has a file size limit and you might be bumping into it.

Remember that if yo DO migrate files to a different drive, the media has to be in precisely the same file path as the originals.

You also might want to consider trashing FCP Preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
Re: Unlinked media strangeness...
on Dec 11, 2015 at 3:58:08 am

Hey Dave,,,, I reformatted the drive, re-connected the pathway, and no problems now! That was it.

Thanks a lot -- once again!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]