<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Seals
exporting final cut pro
on Dec 5, 2015 at 12:40:19 pm

ok people so i have a unibody 2009 macbook with 8 gig of ram

my project is 1hr 30mins long...

what am i best exporting it at?

i want to play it on tablets and hdtv and maybe upload to vimeo

i used mpeg cant converted the clips into pro res 422 lt at 100% quality before i did any editing in fcp

please help as it gooing to be a xmas gift

thnaks

Danny

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: exporting final cut pro
on Dec 5, 2015 at 1:46:13 pm

Mpeg4. (H264)

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:05:15 pm

i recored it all in 1080 will this reduce the quality roger?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:41:06 pm
Last Edited By Roger Poole on Dec 5, 2015 at 2:43:40 pm

It should look great. Try a small section as a test.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 5, 2015 at 8:24:33 pm

Hi Roger,

so i just went ahead and start the export as a whole project it been going on for 8hrs now and only 34% done i think that might be due to all the video clips being on a external hard drive

thanks again

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 5, 2015 at 9:21:53 pm

What I do is export to quicktime without conversion. That way you would have a full resolution version of the sequence which you can then use for various purposes. That export would be quick but compressing to H264 can take forever, and for that reason many set things up and leave it overnight to compress. Doing it directly from FCP means having that running too but seeing that you are well into the conversion you might as well leave it to run. Hopefully all will be ok but it might have been better to test a small section first in case you need to tweak the settings a little. Also, if the file size is too big you can knock the frame size down to 720p, which scales very well to a 1080 TV.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 5, 2015 at 10:36:39 pm
Last Edited By Roger Poole on Dec 5, 2015 at 10:56:50 pm

Just a thought. Did you use the "send to compressor" method. That can be problematic.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 5, 2015 at 11:27:42 pm

i just checked my laptop to see how my little baby is getting on and its failed error 60 so ill try the above what you suggested

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 6, 2015 at 8:55:30 am

Left it over night come back to it this morning and its only on 51% i have a feeling it either crashed or ailed again :-(

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 6, 2015 at 12:33:29 pm

Hi Daniel, I looked up error 60 and it's a master directory block error, which means a problem with your hard disk, so some maintenance is due by the sound of things. I take it you have plenty of free space on the destination volume?

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:46:29 pm

hi roger,

so i left final cut to run when i though it had frozen at 51% however in the space of the last 8hrs it gone up by six percent (long time)

am going to look at doing some maintenance once i have the complete file exported.

As am new to mac and fcp i dont want to run the risk of deleting some major file that will cause my project to fail

thnaks

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 7, 2015 at 9:51:01 pm

Might be too late now but my advice would be to Export a QuickTime Movie - both reference and self-contained (good also for your archives). Then if you have Compressor, drag in the reference file and use the Vimeo setting: MP4 H.264. Vimeo defaults at 720p which is better for streaming. So I'd keep it at 720p, and change to 15 MBs, PCM audio. Not only do you have to consider how long it takes to compress this, as you're discovering, but also to upload to Vimeo! So you'll definitely benefit from a smaller file size, hence 720p.

If you're playing from a laptop that has FCP on it to HDTV, via Thunderbolt or hdmi, you can play the self-contained QT file and have full 1080p.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 1:15:29 am

Hi Chris,

Why do you mean reference and self contained I've done what Roger suggested and just did it as QuickTime at 720 I think

Thansk
Danny

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 3:40:23 pm

Daniel, good to hear that you managed to complete the export. Did you make the mpeg4 too?

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 5:18:33 pm

Still exporting roger .... 5% percent left... a message has come up to say i need to quit something but am holding out on fcp to complete first...

once this is done i then need to go and look up colour correction for my next project do you have any good recommendations for a good tutorial..

i need to then also look at Photoshop but am after a very abe kislevitz look..

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:30:12 pm

I have to admit to never hearing of Abe Kislevitz. FCP7 color correction tutorials will be a bit hard to find as the likes of Macbreak Studio and Lynda.com moved to FCPX a few years ago, but it's worth checking.

Color correction in it's basic form is quite easy, but working at an advanced level is something of a black art. However, if you are looking at white balance and basic color adjustments then the 3 way color corrector will do the job. If you are familiar with color correction in Photoshop, levels or curves, you will find the 3 way CC in FCP familiar. Each of the 3 color wheels has an eye dropper so setting the white and black points is a very easy and quick way to remove color casts. That being said, you can't really trust your computer display for accurate color correction, you need a calibrated external video monitor to be sure.

Now that I've said all that, I think the eye droppers are one of the components broken under the later operating systems.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:03:27 pm

thats the least of my worries i just clicked on my timeline on final cut pro by accident and the below error came up... what do i do as am close to finishing the export

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:40:28 pm

This is FCPX. You've been writing on the legacy FCP forum page.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:42:25 pm

oh jeeezzz,

am sorry guys the moment took me with getting it done i didn't even notice

sorry

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:47:49 pm

Ditto.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:52:57 pm

What would you guys recommend with this error... Should I wait it out?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:05:29 pm

Well, this puts everything out of the window. Your media files are on an external disk, right?
When you chose to export you chose "Share > master file" yes?

Like Chris said, this is the wrong forum and we are giving the wrong answers. I feel for you though as you've been at this for a few days but let us know your setup so that we may yet salvage things.

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:11:10 pm

Yer am so sorry about that...

So I did what you said above

What I do is export to quicktime without conversion. That way you would have a full resolution version of the sequence which you can then use for various purposes. That export would be quick but compressing to H264 can take forever, and for that reason many set things up and leave it overnight to compress. Doing it directly from FCP means having that running too but seeing that you are well into the conversion you might as well leave it to run. Hopefully all will be ok but it might have been better to test a small section first in case you need to tweak the settings a little. Also, if the file size is too big you can knock the frame size down to 720p, which scales very well to a 1080 TV.

All file are on am external hard drive yes

Could it be possible that of I don't click quit that the file will still convert?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:28:57 pm

That's not likely. Sounds like a fatal error has occurred if it's asking to quit. You could try Command Z to undo whatever you did last but I doubt anything will work at this stage. If you have to quit out of it check how much free space you have on the disk you were exporting to. If all is well there check your Quicktime export. Does it have the quicktime icon or a folder icon?

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:34:38 pm

Maybe start a new thread in FCPX and add a link to this one for reference. Someone more familiar with that software can help steer you in a better path. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:54:03 pm

Christopher, you are of course right, but after Daniel has spent three days exporting this and has only 5% left to export I have in mind that if what he has exported can be made to play, he could go back to FCPX and do a fresh export of the remaining 5% and then stitch the two together outside FCPX. That would be easy in QT7 but my guess is that he has QT10. But first things first. :o/

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:55:49 pm

ive now posted in the right forums..

command z didn't do much and the file on the desk top look like a file no icon or QT icon

thanks again guys

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 10:26:43 pm

You saved it to your desktop? That file will be huge. No wonder things went so badly. If you can, copy that file to your external, then delete the original from your boot disk.

What is the exact name of the file you exported

Return to posts index

Daniel Seals
on Dec 8, 2015 at 10:29:27 pm

My External is maxed out now so nothing can go on it until the export is done then i can delete all the mpeg versions.

route66timeline.m4v

thanks again

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 8, 2015 at 10:59:02 pm

Unfortunately something has to give if your disks are full :o(

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
on Dec 10, 2015 at 11:21:09 am

I'd recommend exporting to Quicktime uncompressed and then using the freely available MPEGStreamclip to compress it to H.264, in the .mp4 format. Exporting to H.264/.mp4 in FCP takes too long and the quality is poor and you can't edit while making this exported version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]