FORUMS: list search recent posts

Door Opening transition for Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christina rotondo
Door Opening transition for Final Cut Pro
on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:47:04 pm

hey guys
I really need a very quick fix, as I have a quick deadline and have been asked to do something.

I need something similar to a door opening.
advent-calendar style for the holidays, similar to a advent calendar door being open. a bit like a swing effect.

I HAVE tried the swing transition in FCP but the problem is that I need to create a duplicate of the area on the image that I need to open. as it would be small multiple "doors" on the image. But when I try and use the transition it creates the transition and effects both the original image as well as the overlay image. is there any way I can stop this or can anyone show me a good door opening effect?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Door Opening transition for Final Cut Pro
on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:25:46 pm

Sounds like a fun project!

How I would approach this is to export a freeze frame TGA or Tif file of the shot,on the frame just prior to the door opening. Take that into photoshop, erase everything but the part that makes the "door". Split that into a left door layer and a right door layer, if that's the way your doors are, otherwise, just make a single door. Save it in 32 bit with alpha channel, I prefer targa .tga for this.

Bring those door layers back into FCP7, put them on a layer above the open-door version of the shot, and they should line up perfectly with the original shot... now you can key-frame animate them opening at will, and mask off the "opening" behind the doors to reveal whatever you need to reveal. Making them swing can be done using keyframes and the "distortion" tool, or keyframing using the rotation controls in the motion tabs.

This is much easier to do in Apple Motion, BTW, especially being able to put the "hinge" of the "doors" wherever it is needed. If your "advent calendar" needs many doors opening and closing at the same time, Motion, IMO, or AfterEfects, is the better place to build this effect. That allows you to skip the Photoshop step and just crop repeated instances of the same shot to create as many doors as you need, anywhere on the screen, and control their timing with precision. Let me know if you need more help, and post a high rez still of the shot if needed. Some of us will be happy to jump in and show you how to make it work.

Return to posts index

christina rotondo
on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:27:28 pm

Hey Mark,

motion would have been awesome! unfortunately work had this on my computer and I hadn't managed to download it on my new macbook!
thanks so much for your input, think ive got it working correctly.
really appreciate the thorough response :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:31:09 pm

I figure it saves more time to give a single, comprehensive response than to have to tease out all the info in a long Q and A dialog over several messages:-) it also makes it easier to follow for someone in the future, who may search the threads for the same problem, looking for a fix.

Happy Holidays, and post a sample clip or still, if you can:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]