FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best greenscreen plugin for FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
What's the best greenscreen plugin for FCP 7?
on Nov 30, 2015 at 1:26:19 pm

The built-in chroma key in FCP works, but we are not happy with the results.

Footage is 1080i (target is mainly DVD-video) shot with a Panasonic HPX500 (P2).

We get flicker in the small details, especially the hair of the actor.

So, what's THE plugin to buy to get best possible results?
The background is very well lit, so the issue here is most likely the plugin itself.

(or should I perhaps try Premiere CS6?)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: What's the best greenscreen plugin for FCP 7?
on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:07:25 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:36:33 pm

You have 3 options: the keyer in PP CS 6, Keylight in AE CS 6, or the keyer in Motion.

But sometimes, pulling a key isn't a simple matter of a few clicks and you're done. Sometimes you have to BUILD a key by creating an accurate matte. This can be very true in shots with problem areas... like wispy hair. It can take multiple layers, animated garbage masks, a bit of rotoscoping, etc.

Now, you say you have a well-lit background; that doesn't mean there may not be other issues making the job tougher. Can you post a screen shot of the un-keyed video?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Dec 1, 2015 at 8:20:01 am

Hi David,

Here's a screenshot from a clip.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 1, 2015 at 2:58:19 pm

You can also try the Hawaiiki greenscreen plug-in from effects factory. But I've always had success using just the stock FCP keyer and/or the bundled Primatte RT. There are two "secrets" to pulling good keys.

One is very even lighting of the green.

The other is to fully calibrate and color-correct the shot for proper exposure, saturation, and levels, BEFORE going to the keyer. A lot of people forget this step, it seems. I use a color chip chart shot on the actual set to calibrate on. Internally generated camera color bars are useless for this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2015 at 7:01:45 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 1, 2015 at 7:05:45 pm

I do any tricky keying in After Effects, and it didn't take too long to pull a good key using Keylight. You say the footage is 1080i.... are there any interlacing problems that would qualify as "flicker"?

Because to me, candles flicker, as in random variations of brightness. What do YOU mean by "flicker"?

I'll assume you know that you can NOT judge the quality of ANY shot in an FCP viewer. You need to see it on a video monitor.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]