FORUMS: list search recent posts

Send a second cut from FCP 7 to Pro Tools after the audio treatment is already done

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
André Valença
Send a second cut from FCP 7 to Pro Tools after the audio treatment is already done
on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:54:26 am

Hi guys,
First post here!
So, I did a cut I thought was the last one on my movie, then I exported a soundless video file and a OMF file and sent it to a friend so he could work on the audio on Pro Tools.
We did a bunch of things: added new sounds, isolated some dialogue layers, even purposefully desynced some audios for effect. He exported me back a WAV file which I successfully placed on my timeline as a two-layer 2.0 soundtrack. Great!
Few weeks later, I decided to cut some scenes and reorder a few other ones. Did another OMF export (did a XML too, just for the sake of it) and sent him this new cut, along with an also new strip of video.
However, he wasn't able to interpret the new cut, since I guess it's too much changed.
How should I proceed. Redo the audio would be too much work. I figure there's a way to do this, right? Like, with the audio timecode, or something.
Do you guys have any clues as to how can a do it?
Thanks,
André Valença

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Send a second cut from FCP 7 to Pro Tools after the audio treatment is already done
on Nov 24, 2015 at 3:24:23 am

If you cut the mix wav file along with the pictures then an EDL will tell the sound people the timecode to reorder. The file will have a zero timecode but that gives a reference to the file start.

A second OMF is a waste of time as is an xml for that purpose, but a good old edl will give the required offset and cut info. Total PITA to do a recut after sound post and also not ask beforehand how to do it to create the required information to re order the sound tracks.

If you have new material then just that material should be exported as an OMF to integrate in once the tracklay/mix has been reordered and trimmed.

Return to posts index

André Valença
Re: Send a second cut from FCP 7 to Pro Tools after the audio treatment is already done
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:15:15 pm

Total pain in the ass, for sure!

Yeah, I didn't ask my friend beforehand because we don't actually work with "movies" per se, so we really didn't know the procedure. He does music, I mostly do straightforward institutional videos (no fancy post production).

But ok then, I'll export that EDL, send it to the sound guy and see if we're able to sort this thing out.

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 24, 2015 at 1:50:38 pm

what mike is saying is that you need to re-edit the mix WAV into your new version of the film,
then make an EDL of that.

you should have done your re-edit with the mix track, and probably a picture export of the film along with the original edit on a track underneath.

you then make an EDL of the mix track.
i've worked with people who like an OMF of that mix track.
it's a guide of your edit, and contains timecode that can be referenced.

"I exported a soundless video file and a OMF "
that was a mistake, too, as the sound dept. have no audio guide,
always export your guide with audio.

i think your sound guy will still be a bit lost as to what to do.
he needs to copy and paste his original session and recreate the edits you did
the EDL or OMF will be a guide as to what sections of the old version are used where.
it would be a big help if you could sit in with him,
i did this recently with a re-conform:
i had FCP, and my edit,and was able to help by giving the appropriate time codes to the mixer.
i was the EDL, in a way.
the OMF of my re-cut mix tack was a useful guide.

i think the old session was moved down to the 2 hour mark,
then copy/pasted back to a 1 hour start where the new pic& sound guide and OMFs were.
(or something along those lines)

Michael may have more useful tips

there are ways to automate the process,
EdiTrace was a web app that did it affordably, i see it'e now EditLoad
http://www.soundsinsync.com/editrace-website-replaced-by-ediload

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 24, 2015 at 11:06:37 pm

I use Fairlight not ProTools but what Nick says is right. Best to edit within the project. I leave the original and edit the clips & automation down the timeline for the new cut. I also have really old software called SHotlister that turna an EDL into a graphic track like display and that makes it really easy to get a visual representation.

On really complicated reversions it is sometimes quicker to use the EDL of the cut mix wav to reconform automatically to a new project but that only does the clips in Fairlight not the automation. Sometimes it is quicker to remix. Yours sounds simple by comparison but I have had projects cut down with som many little edits that there can be over a hundred trims in a one hour show so more than one cut per minute.

Return to posts index

André Valença
on Nov 25, 2015 at 11:26:47 am

Gotcha,

I had it wrong the first time, but we did what you guys jointly told us to and it worked.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]