FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Film SD to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Feature Film SD to HD
on Nov 21, 2015 at 10:12:49 pm

Hi,

Long time I haven't checked in to my beloved FCP community.
I am about to finish my first feature documentary film, which was shot in the course of 4 years.
The film is 60% SD and 40% HD Footage.
I edited the entire film in FCP, in a SD Timeline 720*576 Anamorphic / ProRes codec to render.

I always preferred to downsize the HD to SD, than blowing the 60% DVX100B SD Footage up to HD.
But all the film festivals now, want a HD DCP, not SD.

So, I gotta rebuild the entire film on an HD timeline before going into DaVinci for CC.

QUESTION:
1.) What is the quickest and most efficient way to get the entire 72min film with more then 3000 Shots into HD TL?

2.) What is the best way to uprez SD to HD Footage? In my experience, FCP does not the very best job at that. And I d o not want the Footage of the Panasonic DVX100B Camera to look like Bank Security Camera once it's blown to 2K.

Thanx for any advice regarding those matters!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Feature Film SD to HD
on Nov 21, 2015 at 11:09:45 pm

From all I heard, Compressor 4 does an awesome job. Is there a smooth way, to Batch change all my SD Clips to HD, without going to a tedious process of exporting each SD clip, taking it to Compressor Eporting it there as HD, and re-importing the outputted clip agin into FCP and relinking it to the HD timeline. for a 72min feature it would take ages like this.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:02:16 am

This is what I did on a doc that was mixed:

- Output a QT movie to use as reference.
- Made an HD sequence...copy and pasted the clips into that.
- Removed attributes: Basic Motion and Distort. This makes the HD clips at home.
- Separate all the SD and HD clips onto different layers.
- Duplicate the sequence.
- Delete all the HD clips from the duplicate. So now all you have are the SD clips.
- Media Manage...COPY, with Handles...do a new location. THis makes the clips all small, only what's in the cut.
- Bring all the media managed footage into Compressor...do the upscaling there. Make sure to make the settings so that they don't add the compression type to the end of the new clips name. They need to be the same in order to relink.
- COMPRESS...this might take overnight.
-Remove the SD media managed clips...unplug the drive, copy them to a drive...remove it.
- Take the media managed sequence, and RELINK to the new compressor made footage. Should relink fine...might have a few you need to manually link to.
- Copy and paste these back into the main sequence...above the SD clips. Replace the SD clips with them.
- Put the exported QT on the track above everything...lower the opacity 50%. Check ALL the clips against this, to make sure they are all correct. If not, fix the ones that are problematic.
-Send to Color...or grade with what you want to grade with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:30:34 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:31:36 am

If you have no reframing of shots then it is really easy. Put all HD shots on particular tracks. Import your xml into Resolve. Change Resolve timeline to 1920 x 1080.

It should correctly reframe the HD material. Change one SD shot to the correct aspect and zoom ratio. Copy that shot. Select all other SD shots. Paste Attributes (ALT V) and select zoom & paste. Done.

Resolve has very good resizing. You can set in the project preferences to resize using best processing.

You could also do the same thing in FCP before exporting the xml if you prefer and still let Resolve do the resizing. There is absolutely no need to bake in the resize into new media.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 22, 2015 at 5:35:39 am

Hi Michael,

Well there is reframing and animation of position of shots at several occasions. Not too many though.

Isn't there even another option:

Let's say, I build a new HD timeline in FCP.
I re frame and re size all the SD shots according to my new HD timeline, meaning doing the scaling inside FCP.
Then exporting that TL as XML to DaVinci and importing it there with the option checked to read the re sizing info from FCP.
Now, shouldn't DaVinci do the re sizing automatically on import?
If so,mother DaVinci's better algorhythms would take care on proper scaling upon export.

That would be the least painful and time consuming option.

Would that work?

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 23, 2015 at 2:05:23 am

Yes da Vinci reads scaling & key frame moves. They only go wrong when big stills are resized in FCP. Resolve like many NLEs adjust automatically to fit the frame and then apply the moves but an xml from FCP7 doesn't allow for the image being properly resized prior to key frame moves. So as long as the moves are done on standard frames it should translate and da Vinci scaling will be as good or better than Compressor.

Do a test however in case the SD footage or any stills don't translate. Otherwise get eh project into Resolve and make the HD timeline there and adjust the scaling once. It will translate x & y axis moves but not zoom correctly due to the different methodolgy of original scaling.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 22, 2015 at 5:30:59 am

Hi Shane,

Thanx a lot for that in depth to-do-manual.
Some questions about the compressor step:
1.) If I drop them all into compressor at ones, will it not crush the App? It's more then 1500 clips, and I had that App already crushing with dropping less clips at ones into it.

2.) When I drop compression pre set and output destination: same thing when dropping that on too many clips at ones at the same time, app often crashes. How is the best way to multi drop output settings and output destination to all clips at the same time in the easiest way?

3.) how you tell compressor while you do drop all that settings, not to alternate the file names in the output to ensure a smooth relinking later on?

Thanx again for the help!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2015 at 1:14:48 am

[Sascha Engel] "1.) If I drop them all into compressor at ones, will it not crush the App? It's more then 1500 clips, and I had that App already crushing with dropping less clips at ones into it. "

Do them in groups. 50 at a time...or 100 at a time.

Or...and this is VERY old fashioned...separate all the SD footage like before. Output that to DV, so it's lossless...then recapture that DV via a Kona 3 or Terranex. BAM...same order, only take a couple hours. And it's all in the same order as before. Albiet, no handles, and you'll have to shop it up for grading. Still, this is something I did early on.

[Sascha Engel] "2.) When I drop compression pre set and output destination: same thing when dropping that on too many clips at ones at the same time, app often crashes. How is the best way to multi drop output settings and output destination to all clips at the same time in the easiest way?"

Sounds like Compressor 4 is a dud. Never had this issue with Compressor 3. Well, can't say NEVER...I'd submit 50-100 clips at a time...so I guess the same limitation.

[Sascha Engel] "3.) how you tell compressor while you do drop all that settings, not to alternate the file names in the output to ensure a smooth relinking later on?"

Shoot...I wish I could say. I can't have Compressor on my system as it's got a new OS that doesn't support it, and I've movd on to Media Encoder and Squeeze.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:43:43 pm

"3.) how you tell compressor while you do drop all that settings, not to alternate the file names in the output to ensure a smooth relinking later on?"

if they;ve been media managed, all the clips will have unique names
you can set up the droplet to NOT add any suffixes,
or you can use a simple re-namer after the fact.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]