FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sync Issue FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mignano
Audio Sync Issue FCP7
on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:45:45 pm

Hello,

I'm in need of some help. I'm trying to help my wife put together a documentary for a class project. She's never done any film work before and while I have much more experience than her I would classify myself as a novice.

I'm trying to edit her work in FCP7. She shot her video on her Iphone and took a separate audio track on some sound equipment she rented. Everything she knows about audio equipment she learned in a 10 minute tutorial the guy at the store gave her.

I can't seem to get her audio track and her video to sync up in FCP7. It starts out fine, but over time the audio gets out of sync and with it being faster than the video.

My video is 1920x1080 24fps Apple ProRes 422.
My sequence settings are the same with my audio at 48kHz and 16 bit.

It was recorded as a .wav file, but 44.1/16. I used Itunes to convert it to 48 but even when I use that my sync gets farther and farther apart as the timeline plays out. It starts off fine, but by the end of my 5 minute video I'm several seconds off sync.

I've tried the same setting but at 29.97 fps as well...just to see. Predictably that didn't do anything.

I've tried wav and aiff files both at 48/16 but nothing seems to work. The audio recorded from her camera is in perfect sync.

Can anyone help me get this audio synced?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Audio Sync Issue FCP7
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:13:16 am

Did she record the video on the iPhone with the camera app that comes with it? If so, you'll need to transcode it since the frame rate is variable in those files -- it actually drifts around between like 26 and 32 frames per second, I think. Last week I needed to sync iPhone video with external audio in another app and happened to drop the video file in a FCP7 sequence, made sure the frame rate was 23.98, then exported a ProRes file. Then it synced up with the external audio when I brought it into the other app. I would assume if you imported that file back into FCP7, it would sync up with your audio there as well.

I didn't have to fix any sample rate issues on the audio which is adding a layer of complexity to your problem, but it sounds like you've got a handle on that.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

David Mignano
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:22:17 am

Thanks for your response!

She didn't use the stock camera app. She used FilMic Pro. I'm not sure what frame rate it shoots in, but I used MPEG Streamclip to covert all the files to 24 fps. When that didn't work I tried converting it to 29.97 which has the same issues. Both went to ProRes 422. Both times the audio file jumps ahead of the video file after being synced at the top.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:23:07 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:24:32 am

First thing to check is what the frame rate was on the phone. 24 or 23.976? Makes a difference. If 23.976 and you converted it to 24 then sync will drift.

Secondly check your Easy Setup. Before the files are imported into FCP you must make sure the Easy Setup matches the project frame rate. Stupidly FCP stamps a frame rate on audio based on the Easy Setup NOT the project. Dumb but therein lies the most common reason for sync drift.

So you must make sure your camera frame rate matches the converted footage and the sequence. Secondly good to have changed the audio to 48khz as that is the standard. Now you will have to move the files to another computer, change the name of the files and then make sure Easy Setup matches the correct frame rate for the files & sequence.

Reimport the renamed files (FCP will remember them and stamp them wrongly again if you don't). Sync up and there should be no drift.

Ther is another way and that is to download Wave Agent from Sound Devices (free) and use it to rest the frame rate to the correct one on your audio files. They should not drift after that. This has been by far the most common thread in this forum over the past 7 years so a forum search can often answer this sort of question.

Return to posts index

David Mignano
on Nov 22, 2015 at 4:30:57 am

I checked the app on her phone and it is recording at 24 fps so I guess I really didn't do anything by sending it thorough Streamclip except to change it to ProRes 422.

The audio that was captured through the camera isn't the problem. That is perfectly synced. It's the audio that I'm getting through the separate recording device that she used.

Would the easy setup have any impact on an audio track with no video attached?

I tried using Wave Agent, set it to change the audio to 48/16 at a frame rate of 24 ND. That file actually came out more ahead than the ones that I had? I could actually hear the track playing faster and more high pitched than my previous ones.

It's almost like my video is playing at 100% and my audio is playing at 110% speed.

I've read through a ton of the other posts here and on the web itself. Spent about 6 hours sifting thorough here, Apple Communities, ect... Nothing has worked to this point.

I appreciate your guys help. I know if it can get fixed anywhere it will be here. This is my first post, but a long time user of the information given.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 23, 2015 at 2:12:26 am

The Easy Setup specifically affects the frame rate of audio files not audio attached to video.

Did the original files have timecode or were they just plain wav files? What did Wave Agent indicate the timecode of the files was before you changed it to 24?

I suggest you might need to go back to the original files to see if they were broadcast wavs with timecode. Wave Agent can be used to translate the files to 48khz and preserve the original code. Then import those new files in with the correct easy setup.

If after all that the files drift then the camera was not recording 24. Even though it might be labeled 24 it could well be 23.976. I have seen DSLRs calling 30 frame in the menu but actually recording 29.97. If the sync is fixed by telling the audio to varispeed to 100.1% then that is the error.

Return to posts index

David Mignano
on Nov 25, 2015 at 4:47:13 am
Last Edited By David Mignano on Nov 25, 2015 at 4:49:17 am

According to Wave Agent the files do have Time Code. I haven't had much time to work on this the last day, but I've found that changing my speed on the audio file to 97% gets the video in sync much longer than at 100%. It still loses it about halfway through, but it's much closer than 5 seconds in.

Does that tell you anything about what might be wrong? I'm converting a clip to 23.976 to give that a shot.

I also checked my EZ set up and I have the frame rate at 24 fps.

The sequence preset is DV NTSC 48 khz.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 25, 2015 at 10:41:23 pm

[David Mignano]"Does that tell you anything about what might be wrong? I'm converting a clip to 23.976 to give that a shot.
I also checked my EZ set up and I have the frame rate at 24 fps.
The sequence preset is DV NTSC 48 khz. "

You are mighty close to 4% which indicates the audio may be stamped as 25fps and the pictures may well be true 24. If your footage is 1920 x 1080 ProRes then the sequence preset should be the same. DV NTSC is 29.97.

So if we can get all the ducks lined up in a row and there is drift around .1% not 4% then the final thing will be 23.98 versus 24

Return to posts index

Ricardo D'Aguiar
on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:06:31 pm

Hi,
I had the same problem and I checked the following first:

1.timeline settings for audio sample rate matching audio sample rate of audio file from recording device (zoom H4) - both at 48.000 Hz

2.timeline settings for FRAME RATE matching frame rate metadata of audio file from recording device (zoom H4) - in my case, PAL, both at 25fps.

These settings must match no matter what.

Than I used WAVE AGENT to alter only the frame rate on the audio file from recording device (zoom H4). It worked like magic.

Wishing you good luck!

Return to posts index

David Mignano
on Nov 25, 2015 at 4:50:57 am

Thank you for your response!

How could I check if my audio file is PAL?

I'm wondering if it is Pal and I have my final cut set up as something else. I'm going to try that now.

Return to posts index

David Mignano
on Nov 25, 2015 at 4:55:58 am

If this helps at all this is what I see in the format section of Item Properties in FCP.

Data Rate 187.5 k/sec

Return to posts index

Ricardo D'Aguiar
on Nov 25, 2015 at 5:30:07 pm

You're welcome!

First and foremost, I would suggest you make sure your AUDIO FILE is at the SAME sample rate as your timeline settings for the specific fcp sequence where you are editing.

If your AUDIO FILE is at 48.000 hZ, your sequence should be the same.
If it is 44.100 hZ, so should be your sequence.

To check metadata on your AUDIO FILE, open it with Quicktime and press command+i - this should open a window with details about your AUDIO FILE.

Is your AUDIO FILE in WAVE format?

If so, you can import it to Wave Agent and check metadata there.
Than alter it to match your sequence settings in FCP.
Make sure you make a copy of your original AUDIO FILE BEFORE altering it with Wave Agent.

If not in WAVE format, convert it to WAVE and proceed to Wave Agent to alter frame rate to match your FCP sequence settings.

I really hope you can resolve this issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]