FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry Transition After Export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Blurry Transition After Export
on Nov 14, 2015 at 4:40:06 pm
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Nov 14, 2015 at 5:04:26 pm

When I add a push slide to a clip in FCP 7, it plays smooth in the program, but when I export the video the image becomes slightly blurry when the transition happens. It looks like the image is duplicated, a bit transparent, and slightly off to the side. I don't understand this since it looks perfect when I play it in FCP. Anyone know the reason for this and a possible solution? Thanks!

edit: When I open the exported video and click through frame by frame, it almost looks as if there are two slide transitions, separated, one frame apart. When I arrow over one frame, the image moves to the left, while a duplicate image stays where it is, and starts moving one frame after the first image. So it's creating a one-frame ghosting effect. I have no idea why it's doing after exporting!!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Blurry Transition After Export
on Nov 14, 2015 at 7:28:46 pm

Can you please use Grab to make a screen grab of tutor sequence settings?

And, in the Render Dialog is Full checked? If not, check everything there and rerender the timeline.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 16, 2015 at 10:55:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Everything is rendered. I'm not sure what you mean by tutor sequence settings, but here are the settings I have.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 16, 2015 at 11:25:13 pm

[Bobby Hall] "I'm not sure what you mean by tutor sequence settings, but here are the settings I have."

That was Siri spell checking "your sequence settings"... you did just fine translating, and your sequence settings are ALL good too.

What I would do in this case is:

1) open Render Manager
2) delete all renders in your project
3) re-render the entire sequence

That "should" fix your issue.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:23:04 am

"1) open Render Manager
2) delete all renders in your project
3) re-render the entire sequence"

sounds like overkill to me.
simply re-rendering that effect would give the same result.

at least copy and paste that section into a new sequence before you do a total re-render.

nick

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:34:22 am

Thanks David, but that didn't fix the problem. Does the fact that my settings say the aspect ratio is HDTV 1080i mean that my video is interlaced? I used a Canon DSLR camera to shoot my video, which I believe is progressive, so I don't really understand why it says 1080i.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:46:36 am

"Does the fact that my settings say the aspect ratio is HDTV 1080i mean that my video is interlaced?"

no, Field Dominance = Upper tells you that your SEQUENCE is interlaced
Field Dominance not set to "None" would be progressive

"I used a Canon DSLR camera to shoot my video, which I believe is progressive"

look at the the properties of your clips,
or look in the browser for the Field Dominance column.

you could have a progressive clip in an interlaced sequence,
for the most part it would not be noticeable, BUT any motion effects or transitions would give it away.
their motion would be interlaced, which would look odd when viewed on a (Progressive) computer screen.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 17, 2015 at 12:19:38 am

Field Dominance = Upper

yep interlaced.
an interlaced slide transition will not look good when viewed on a computer screen.
although what you describe sounds weirder than field combing.
hard to say without seeing what you're seeing.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:48:23 am

my guess your sequence is interlaced.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:30:19 am

Thanks Nick.

I just changed the field dominance from Upper to None and when I exported the video, the transition played perfectly! So that's all I needed to do. I can't believe the headaches this has caused me, but I'm glad it's cleared up now! So thanks Nick and David for your help!

What I don't understand is how come when I import my clips into FCP it lists the field dominance as Upper in the browser? I shoot my videos with a Canon T3i, which shoots progressive, so why does FCP automatically think it's interlaced?

I don't know why, but at least I know I just need to change the field dominance.

Here's a still of what the transition looks like interlaced:

And here's a still of it progressive:

If anyone wants to see the video, it's a 30 second commercial my girlfriend and I made for the Doritos Super Bowl contest. The grand prize is a $1,000,000! I'd appreciate it if you guys could give it a 5 star rating. Here's the link:

https://crashthesuperbowl.doritos.com/video/2941

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:52:59 am

"I shoot my videos with a Canon T3i, which shoots progressive"

does ONLY shoot progressive?
i'd double check that.
or maybe you shot at a high frame rate (59.whatever) which FCP sees as 29.something but interlaced?

you should sort it out, because putting interlaced footage into a progressive sequence is one way to de-interlace it.
but it's the worst way.

nick

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 17, 2015 at 9:45:35 pm

Yes, my camera only shoots progressive. My files were shot in 29.97 fps, even though in my camera settings it says 30 fps.

So I think when I import my footage into FCP 7, it thinks it's interlaced for some reason. I have no idea why. When I watch the raw files I can pretty much tell it's not interlaced. But when I drag the files onto the timeline and I have it match the settings of my files, the field dominance is set to Upper. When I export a video with that setting, it's interlaced, and when I change it to None, then the video plays fine.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 17, 2015 at 10:21:47 pm

weird.
have a look at the item properties of your clips.
are thy upper?

to check for interlaced on a computer, open the files in QUicktime, look for some rapid movement,
and lok for that tell-tale combing.
you won't see it in FCP unless the canvas is set to 100%:
fast way to do that: select canvas, press and hold the H key

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 17, 2015 at 10:59:12 pm

Are you using Log & Transfer to convert them into ProRes? If so then it may be mis reading the interlace flag. DSLRs are nearly always shooting progressive. If you are just using the H264 camera files then FCP is really poor with that codec and getting interlaced/ progressive wrong is certainly possible but H264 in an FCP7 timeline could cause all sorts of edit, sync and render issues.

In this case it was simply the wrong sequence settings

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:40:05 pm

I use MPEG Streamclip to convert my h.264 files to prores, and I uncheck "interlaced scaling". When I import the files, it lists the field dominance as Upper. I also imported an h.264 file to see what its field dominance would be, and it said it was Upper also. If DSLRs shoot progressive, why would it list the field dominance as Upper instead of None?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:48:05 pm

Because it's probably 1920x1080 video. Go to the FCP Browser, go over several columns and look for the erroneously-named Field Dominance column. If clips are set to Upper, set them to None. Same thing for the edit timeline: the Field Order (its proper name) should be set to None.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 17, 2015 at 11:54:40 pm

Thanks Dave. Yeah in the brower the clips are listed as "Upper (Odd)". Do you know why FCP 7 does this if the clips are really progressive?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:48:58 am

Bobby,

I strongly suspect MPEG Streamclip is at the heart of the issue. I like Streamclip for ripping DVDs, but I personally would never use it as my goto transcoder/encoder. What is it that you like about Streamclip for transcoding?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:54:53 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:56:04 am

David,

I don't think that MPEG Streamclip is the problem because when I import the h.264 files that my camera shoots into FCP (without converting them to prores) just to see what their properties are, the browser lists their field order as Upper too.

I use MPEG Streamclip because I had a project I was working on where I had to rip a lot of footage from DVDs and I just got used to the program! What do you suggest I use? Compressor?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:58:20 am

"I also imported an h.264 file to see what its field dominance would be, and it said it was Upper also"

the original clips are displaying as having a field dominance in FCP,
so i'm not so sure Streamclip is a problem here.

in my experience, Streamclip is more stable than Compressor with larger batches.

Bobby, that interlaced scaling would not be an issue as you are not scaling the clips.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:51:16 am

could be they are Psf, "Progressive segmented frame"
2 fields, both of them the same.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 18, 2015 at 1:14:32 am

I suspect the camera files are not indicating anything in field dominance in their metadata so the system guesses 'upper' in the absence of correct embedded info. That's why you have to manually change it.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:39:48 am

Same thing happens to my Motion clips. They're set correctly in Motion to match my progressive timeline. Then when I export a ProRes 4444 and bring it in to FCP (6 for me), the field always reads Upper. I posted about this in another thread a while ago. I just have to change to None and all is fine. Maybe it's a bug that will never get fixed.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:01:21 pm

[Christopher McDonell] “Maybe it's a bug that will never get fixed.”

Considering that we’re talking about an application that at best hasn’t been touched by Apple in almost four years, I think your estimate is spot-on.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]