FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 > ProRes 422 LT (FCP7)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brown
Convert MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 > ProRes 422 LT (FCP7)
on Nov 11, 2015 at 2:04:14 pm

Dear Colleagues,

For the time being stuck on FCP7 on MB Pro 15" (10.6.8, 8Gb RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5), I have a long and heavy multi-cam project involving various video codecs, such as MTS files (from various Sony Camcorders), .MOVs (from DSLRs & Panasonics), and MPEG-4 files from a Sony PMW-EX1 (SxS). Thus I have resolved to converting everything to ProRes 422 LT. (Some may claim my set-up can't handle that, but it does so surprisingly well, including dual-screen work).

I convert:
MTS files successfully using AVCHD Converter or ClipWrap2 – is ClipWrap 2 just as efficient, stable, and faster?

.MOV Files (H.264) using Wondershare Video Converter (not Ultimate! because the Ultimate version 1.x… only suggests to convert to FCP7 as ProRes 422 (LT is not available), and the new 5.x versions don't work on Mountain Lion (I don't want to upgrade yet for various reasons).

My main issue is the MPEG-4 files in the BPAV folders that I copied from the SxS cards (Mac Finder procedure). The PMW-EX1 manual claims it outputs MPEG-2 format, but the QT file in the folder has an MP4 suffix, and QT Pro will not recognize it. Wondershare Converter only converts those to ProRes 422 (not LT) resulting in adequate sized files with proper bit rate, but a green bar on the timeline for only that footage suggesting rendering, which affects my editing (mutliple codecs).

Do you know of a software that will work on my machine and convert these files to ProRes 422LT? None of my other options accept the files (file alone or folders): Compressor, Streamclip, ClipWrap etc…

Or should I use QT Pro (as I have been occasionally) to re-convert the ProRes 422s to 422 LT (thus breaking a 11-12 min clip down from appr. 12 Gb to 7 (vs. appr. 3.5 original footage)?

Thanks for any advice you may have ;-)

Best from Hamburg, Germany.

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Convert MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 > ProRes 422 LT (FCP7)
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:31:56 pm

[Michael Brown] "MTS files successfully using AVCHD Converter or ClipWrap2 – is ClipWrap 2 just as efficient, stable, and faster?"

Faster, for sure. But not the most current. EditReady is most current...although it needs a more current OS, 10.9 at least. So if you are on an older OS, sticking to ClipWrap2 is good.

[Michael Brown] ".MOV Files (H.264) using Wondershare Video Converter (not Ultimate! because the Ultimate version 1.x… only suggests to convert to FCP7 as ProRes 422 (LT is not available), and the new 5.x versions don't work on Mountain Lion (I don't want to upgrade yet for various reasons)."

Why? Compressor has Presets for ProRes and works just fine. And you can enable QMaster to get all the processors working.

[Michael Brown] "Do you know of a software that will work on my machine and convert these files to ProRes 422LT? None of my other options accept the files (file alone or folders): Compressor, Streamclip, ClipWrap etc…"

EditReady will. What OS are you on?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
on Nov 11, 2015 at 8:31:58 pm

Many thanks Shane, as dependable as always ;-) But…

[Shane Ross] " Why? Compressor has Presets for ProRes and works just fine. And you can enable QMaster to get all the processors working."

Compressor accepts neither the BPAV folder that I copied from the SxS card, nor the MP4 File included therein. I get a warning to the affect of 'corrupt or missing data' or whatever it was (don't remember by heart), but I looked into your workflow tutorial and I may have not properly copied the said folder or it may not have been copied properly (Finder procedure as you described, but not with that tool you mentioned that enables a double check). So I don't get far enough to choose ProRes 422 LT at all. And afraid to say: no, I did NOT back it up, so the one file I have is the only one. I have to admit that I am not comfy with Compressor – for me it's as awkward vs. other apps as is Dropbox vs. Wetransfer. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, but what?

[Shane Ross] " [Michael Brown] "Do you know of a software that will work on my machine and convert these files to ProRes 422LT? None of my other options accept the files (file alone or folders): Compressor, Streamclip, ClipWrap etc…""

Like I mentioned, I'm on 10.6.8 for a number of reasons, especially to maintain my workflow with FCP7 that I know well enough and wouldn't like to lose. Or how far can I upgrade my OS without having to go for FCPX? I've been reading various threads that dated up to 2013 and for the most part claim FCP7 will run fine on Mountain Lion, which in turn will enable me to go for EditReady which sounds appealing.

Thanks again, looking forward to your comments ;-)

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46:57 pm

Wait...the EX1 footage should LOG and TRANSFER fine...no? Or did you need the XDCAM TRANSFER UTILITY for that? Either way, you shouldn't need a third party converter...either FCP or Sony. Unless the card structure is fubar...then EditReady. BUT...you are on 10.6.8.

Hmmmm

In on 10.9.5 and FCP 7 works fine. I HAD to upgrade to that to get EditReady to work. and yes, EditReady is THAT important. Still lots of camera ops that don't back up full cards, or cameras that aren't compatible with edit systems

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on May 5, 2016 at 7:27:26 am

Hi Shane,

you seem to be a guru on this site so may i ask you a quick question? I have a lot of footage which was shot a canon C300, so they are MXF files, can you advise what is the most reliable and easiest way to convert to pro res 422 as we want to import to FCP 7 and work with 422- we have have about 400 gig in total and MXF files seem to be a major headache importing to FCP 7 from what i have been reading

Someone has suggested third party software- if so can you recommend any please? Any pro and cons ?

Finally apologies if i have not followed protocol in starting a new thread, fairly newbie to this site and you seem a fountain of knowledge so thought i'd drop you a line.

Thanks in advance

GH

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2016 at 7:59:04 am

If you don't already have the C300 Log and Transfer plugin, which was available but now LONG gone...then EditReady will convert the files. Divergentmedia.com...free demo available.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on May 5, 2016 at 8:22:15 am

thankyou shane ...

as ever much appreciated...

is there anywhere you think i may get the transfer plugin?

GH

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2016 at 5:43:46 pm

[Gordon Henry] "is there anywhere you think i may get the transfer plugin?"

Nope. It was pulled from the web long ago. FCP 7 was discontinued 5 years ago, and companies don't support defunct software. Sorry

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on May 5, 2016 at 6:22:21 pm

thanks Shane,

shame however

EDITREADY seems to be working a treat and suprisingly faster then i would have thought.

Cheers for your assistance on this one

Best

GH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]