FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding audio without clips being moved on timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karin Knutsson
adding audio without clips being moved on timeline
on Nov 10, 2015 at 4:59:01 pm

hello! i have just started using final cut pro and find it hard to understand how to add audio without the clips i already added to the timeline being moved automatically. from what i can tell from tutorials, to add audio all i have to do is import the sound file and then drag it to the sequence. but when i do, the clips i already have there (without sound) get moved so they start at the end of the sound file. and this is not what i wanted, of course i want them to stay in the same place so the sound plays at the same time as the clips. does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Karin Knutsson
Re: adding audio without clips being moved on timeline
on Nov 10, 2015 at 4:59:52 pm

just to make things more clear, i am using final cut pro 7. hope i am in the right forum :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2015 at 5:09:26 pm

Don't drag. Load into the VIEWER, mark IN and OUT, and press the RED ARROW...overwrite edit. When you drag, it defaults to INSERT EDIT. The typical workflow for editing is to first load clips in to the viewer to preview them, find where you want the clip to start and stop, and then add them to the timeline by using INSERT or OVERWRITE edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 10, 2015 at 10:20:24 pm
Last Edited By Nick Meyers on Nov 10, 2015 at 10:27:28 pm

dragging is ok, it all depends on where you release the clip.

look closely at the tracks in the timeline.
see a light line, about 2/3rds up?

holding the clip the clip in the lower 2/3rds, your cursor will show a downward arrow, and you get an overwrite edit when you release
in the top 1/3rd you see a right-pointing arrow, and get an insert, which pushes everything afterwards down.

working from the viewer does give you more control.
you have to set your TARGET TRACKS, and there are keyboard commands for that:

F6 plus a number (top row , not number pad) set the video target track
F7&F8 plus a number set the audio.

these days with a lot more audio tracks being the norm, that might not help, so you have to click click click.
sometimes i find the fastest way can be to insert edit a clip into the default tracks, move it to my desired tracks, and tidy up afterwards.

with audio only, i often just drag.
oh, yes... you can drag from the viewer after setting in and outs:
with audio use the little hand icon near the top of the viewer.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]