FORUMS: list search recent posts

FC7 - Blurred Text

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fraticelli
FC7 - Blurred Text
on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:01:11 pm

Hi Gang

I'm relatively experienced - just rebuilt a 2006 Mac Pro. Fresh install 10.6.8. Fresh Install FC7. I'm using/working with projects that were originally created in FC6. I continue to see blurred text from both previous projects & new projects created in FC7. Burned test projects come out fine, (crisp text). *Please note I'm working in standard Def. with two 20" Apple Cinema Displays (both M9177LL/A), and for right now, the original Video Card G Force 7800 GT. I'm suspecting the lack of resolution in the both brower window and canvas window might be the lower quality Video Card?

Thanx for your comments

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FC7 - Blurred Text
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:59:21 pm

have you rendered?

it'll be a bit lower res if it;s just playing back in RT, unrendered,
especially if it's DV

"lack of resolution in the both brower window and canvas window"
could be your monitor. what's it's highest resolution?

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Nov 4, 2015 at 1:21:31 am

Thanx Nick!
Thanx Roger!

I like the 'HD Sequence' idea and yes, I'll eventually get a better graphics display. In the meantime, the blurred text problem has rectified itself. :)

Its nice getting your help here.

I've got bigger problems to deal with in a different post coming up.

Thanx again!
Mike

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:04:04 pm
Last Edited By Roger Poole on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:06:17 pm

Text in video has always been a problem because of interlacing. With the advent of progressive workflow this has largely gone away. If you working in an interlaced SD sequence then titles are never going to look great. Fine font's wont display well so try using something more heavy. You can try applying a directional blur, (1 pixel vertical) to the text layer, which will help. Also, as a test, try setting up a progressive HD sequence and see how your titling looks on that. It should look great if everything is set up correctly and will rule out hardware issues. The 7300 GT is not a well spec'd card for video really.

Afterthought. Try viewing at 100%

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 4, 2015 at 10:36:02 pm

SD is interlaced. I have never had issues with text an interlacing in fact it make roll credits much smoother. Fine fonts are a problem but mostly because the resolution is poor or titles are not put on whole pixels so flicker on edges is bad.

But when the sequence settings are DV codec, then text looks rubbish becasue of the codec. If your source is SD and your final timeline needs to be SD then sequence should be set to ProRes422 not DV so that when the renders are done they are in a decent codec. Your titles will look fine with a ProRes422 sequence once rendered. DV is rubbish and best avoided for lots of reasons.

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Nov 4, 2015 at 11:01:45 pm

Hi Michael - Great information!

To tell you the truth, (aside from item properties and frame rate), I don't think I've changed the Codec. "sequence should be set to ProRes422"

Is this one of the tabs in User Settings? Sequence Settings?

Thanx Michael!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:30:32 am

FCP default settings are DV codec so if you have never changed your sequence or Easy Setup, now is a great time to learn as the default is a problem.

Start with Easy Setup and make ProRes422 at your normal frame rate and Sd or HD frame size.

Then try opening a new sequence in you project and copy paste the entire original sequence timeline into the new project. Once you change the Easy Setup you will create new sequences in that format.

The copy pasted sequence will tell you it needs rendering perhaps (red lines over clips). Once rendered the pictures and particulalry the text should look much sharper and cleaner. I know it it tempting to just open a program and start editing but FCP really does need some knowledge to drive effectively so please refer to the manual about seting up your edit work space and managing Easy Setups and setting projects up to the correct sequence settings.

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:10:02 am
Last Edited By Michael Fraticelli on Nov 5, 2015 at 9:27:42 am

Mike - Thanx again for everything

I've been editing since 2006 but this project is entirely SD. Adding numerous filters makes additional rendering necessary, (I'm used to that). I may not have mentioned, 80% of the footage was shot in 24P (simple 24P), not advanced, and shot with Panasonic DVX. Other footage was shot off a Steenbeck viewer at the Archives. In those cases, I naturally shot in progressive since the original footage was 'film'. I suppose that's why I never changed the sequence codec.

But to be sure, are you saying I'll get crisper title frames with ProRes422?

Right now I'm in the process of formatting two bootable drives on a Mac Pro Desktop, one with FC6, the other with FC7 as suggested by Roger. So I'll check the codecs soon - Thank you Mike

Thanx
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Nov 5, 2015 at 9:36:26 am

Hi again Michael

Just finished installing 2 boot drives, both 10.6.8, FC6 in one, FC7 in the other. Fresh installs all around.

In FC6 within Rosetta, I opened 'Sequence Settings'. There's an option for QT Video Settings/Compressor settings for either Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), or Apple ProRes 422. Yes I see the easy set up is defaulted at DV/DVCPRO. Are these the settings you were referring to?

Thanx
Mike

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 5, 2015 at 5:02:13 pm

Hi Mike,

I've been reading this post and am more than confused. First of all, you said the "burn test projects come out fine". What does that mean? You burned to DVD and the text looks crisp on your TV set? If your video export has crisp text (you can confirm this on your mac), then the issue is just how it's being presented in FCP right?

If you click the RT tab in your timeline, what are you seeing? Is playback quality "High"? If not, bingo, that could be your issue.

My guess however is that your footage is interlaced and as others have pointed out, text looks crap when interlaced. My workaround for this was to transcode my final cut (minus the text) to ProRes 422 - Progressive, change the timeline to match, then add back the text. The end result will be progressive of course but the text looks perfect. This was my method:

1) Finish the cut and save the project with a different name
2) Deselect all the text layers.
3) Export a QT movie (I think it had to be self-contained), then drag that into Compressor.
4) Choose an Apple Pro Res 422 setting (you don't need HQ with DV) and deinterlace by setting the Field Order to Progressive.
5) Then import that file of your movie into the same FCP timeline and turn off all the other video layers.
6) Change the timeline to match - Pro Res 422/Progressive
7) Turn the text/graphics layers back on.
8) Now when you render, you'll be rendering your text/graphics as progressive Pro Res 422 to match your master fine cut.
9) Voila. Done.

One last question. Why are you using both FCP 6 and 7? What's the benefit of having them both on the same system? Seems redundant.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:44:17 pm
Last Edited By Michael Fraticelli on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:55:36 pm

Hi Chris

Everyone has been very helpful and for that I'm appreciative. I think the discussion seemed to take off at a point where I may have found the remedy to the blurred text. But Michael came back with basically the same very helpful info you were offering.

Sorry for the confusion: my installing two system drives for very sensible reasons was in no way related to the text issue.

Long story short, (as I indicated in my other posts), FC7 does not do well when trying to recognize wave forms. Its a known issue, trust me, the data is well organized, but most of it was created in FC6. That's when Michael told me about Rosetta. He's got 3 versions of FCP in separate HD volumes and it works fine. I decided to go with another system drive in my Mac Pro.

Soon as I finish this process, I'll check sequence settings again to follow up on what you nice folks have offered.

Hang on - be back in a few days - People are most helpful here :)

My Best
Mike

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:51:18 pm

Yes, the Cow is a very helpful community! Agreed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]