FORUMS: list search recent posts

What should I do when there are stripes running in the footage while playing fast speed??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kim manis
What should I do when there are stripes running in the footage while playing fast speed??
on Nov 3, 2015 at 5:42:49 am

I'm editing with Final cut pro 7 and do fast speed this footage. While playing back, there are stripes running around. I think there must be something wrong with a setting. Does anyone know how to fix it? Please please advice me.. Here is my sequence setting:

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: What should I do when there are stripes running in the footage while playing fast speed??
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:10:20 am

the speed issue is that you have blending turned on.
you are seeing two similar frames blended together.

you need to select each speed modified clip, open the speed dialogue (Apple J) and de-select blending.
there's no simple way to turn do this in bulk, gotta do it one by one.

the other issue is what's with the H264 sequence settings?
h264 media in FCP7 is asking for trouble.

nick

Return to posts index

kim manis
Re: What should I do when there are stripes running in the footage while playing fast speed??
on Nov 3, 2015 at 4:23:54 pm

Thank you very much nick..I've de-selected blending option and it fix but in some footage with normal speed still have those small lines. I think this could be the H264 setting. I've try to change field dominance to 'None'. The lines are gone but I don't know if will it coz the trouble with the codec when export. But,all I know is.. it take hours for export!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2015 at 5:50:20 pm

Don't use H.264...as stated, FCP does not do well with H.264 at all. Any footage should be converted from H.264 to ProRes, and H.264 sequence settings need to be avoided.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:55:58 pm

"some footage with normal speed still have those small lines. I think this could be the H264 setting"

where are you seeing this? n FCP?
can you post another screen grab

i dont think it's the H264, i suspect a field issue?

"I've try to change field dominance to 'None"
is the footage interlaced?
changing field dominance to none is the worst way to de-interlace it.

"it take hours for export!!"
i trying to decipher your first screen grab: have you changed your sequence settings to ProResLT?
i think that takes longer to process that Prores422 or HQ.

what format is your footage?
what sort of sequence are they in?

"it take hours for export!!"
how long is your sequence?
do you have a lot of effects?
are they rendered?

Return to posts index

kim manis
on Nov 4, 2015 at 6:17:41 am
Last Edited By kim manis on Nov 4, 2015 at 6:46:00 am

Hello Nick Meyer

Thank you very much for your concerning. I was kind of lost obviously...

Here is my clip setting:

And here is my sequence setting:

About those lines that appear..it's because of those blending option that you've said. I de-selected it and now the problem solve...I just realise that those footage with normal speed that has the lines are also cover with the light burn filter that was in slow speed.. so it's not about the field dominance and i change them back to 'Upper (odd)' : )

However, I still notice when the clip is fade in for fading out. With the field dominance 'Upper (odd)', there are lines showing up:

but when I change them to 'None' , the lines is gone:

And also with the text typing option. With the field dominance 'Upper odd', it becomes

but with the field dominance 'None', it becomes

Now I'm more concerning about the 'Apple prores 422 (LT)' setting that you've pointed out. As this project I've mistaken edit them in H.264 and I need to exportt them in .MXF, I heard that the sequence setting need to be set in 50i for the best quality . So which option should I use for my sequence setting?

Or should I convert this H.264 to Apple prores 422 (Lt) by using Media manager option? It takes forever to recompress my 28 mins project with a lot of graphic and effects and need more space in the hard disk but I still have some more time . Should I do it ?

My next project will be in Apple prores 422 (Lt) coz the original footages was recorded with DSLR camera. I recompress footage into apple preres 422 (lt) just to save my hard disk space and not to overkill. Do you think it is the right way to do so?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 4, 2015 at 9:40:26 pm

i cant really read the faded out image,
but the lines on the text are due to fields, that' combing is how FCP displays the fields in the canvas she it's at 100%
it's also how it will look when viewed on a computer screen, which cant show fields properly.

h264 is risky in FCP,
sometimes it works, but three is a lot of room for weird and unpredictable errors.
sync issues are common.

my best advice for now would be to change you sequence settings to ProRes 422, leave it interlaced
render and export.

if your export is stable, and without errors, then that's good,
and it's now your choice what to do about the fields.
you could for instance use compressor to de-interlace it, or even convert it to 50p.

if interlaced is not what you want, next time shoot progressive.
if you need to do a lot of colour correction, Prores422 is better than LT
Premiere Pro and FCPX both work with h264 natively.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

kim manis
on Nov 6, 2015 at 5:58:26 am

Hello Nick ,

Thank you very very much for your advice. I'll try to work on it and hope this could solve all the problems.

Thank you!!
Kim : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]