FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advise on using less Memory storage but keeping Quality to Its maximum for a Final DVD Play Out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon Henry
Any advise on using less Memory storage but keeping Quality to Its maximum for a Final DVD Play Out
on Nov 2, 2015 at 11:02:38 am

Hello All,

Firstly as i am new member so a HUGE THANKYOU to all that have contributed to the FCP forums. The information and advise i have referenced has been invaluable to me to say the least as i am a newbie to FCP 7 - though enjoying the learning curve tremdously ...a lot of banging my head against the wall to start with however.

I am curently doing some projects at the moment which involve filming theatre shows with 2 cameras and then i have to edit the performance and make a master DVD for duplication ( about 200-300 copies each time )

I shoot 1080 x 1920 HD on 2 diffrent types of cameras Jvc & Sony ( The client wishes me to Shoot On This Format ) and then i convert all the footage to Pro Res 422 LT 1920x1080 ..i do this beacuse the original files are diffrent from each other..

I then do all my work on FCP, once finished export it as Full Res Quick Time file and then bring it into compressor and then eventually DVD Studio Pro. The original SD card footage is between 20-32 gig for each camera as the show in total is just over 2 hours long.

Here lies the question/Problem...

I am finding that having converted both footages to 422 LT 1080x1920 the whole process is generally very time consuming and slow as the file sizes get much bigger in doing so, Also i am using a lot of memory space on my external hard drive.
By the time i have just done all the conversions at the best qulity possible , i am bringing in over 100 gig to FCP to do the edit...

The reason i am working on 1920 X 1080 is that i really want maximum quality for the final master dvd.

I am sure i am overlooking a way of doing this without using so much memory. As I use the multiclip edit facility on FCP, i am finding the viewer and canvas are not playing real time... this i think is because of the shear volume of the project size.

Ideally i do not want use/work with 1920 x 1080 while editing the project, so not to use as much memory etc

however i want to export at best quality for the dvd Master ..

Am i doing this process totally incorrectly and making alot of work for myself or i should give myslef a "small-ish" pat on the back as i am sort of in the right direction with this but need to fine tune what i am doing?...

Any help much apprecaited....

PLEASE note, i am fairly new to FCP process but so go easy on me if it is an obvious problem i am staring at and dont shoot me down!!

Thanks in advance to all have the time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Any advise on using less Memory storage but keeping Quality to Its maximum for a Final DVD Play Out
on Nov 2, 2015 at 4:18:38 pm

I wouldn't be reluctant to get more storage. If you need it you need it, and it's pretty cheap. I say get more.

There are technical standards for authored DVD's which you must follow. The video must be MPEG2, and the audio is generally AC3. You can make either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios, but they must be 720 x 576. at 25 fps (PAL) or 720 x 480 at 29.97 fps (NTSC). How do they make the wider screen? The 16:9 pixels are defined as being wider than the corresponding 4:3 pixels.

So back to all that storage -- why more? You may want to go HD in the future. DVD's are always SD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
Re: Any advise on using less Memory storage but keeping Quality to Its maximum for a Final DVD Play Out
on Nov 2, 2015 at 9:30:13 pm

Hi David,,

Thank you for your reply. Correct me if i am wrong. Are you saying that from the original material,my workflow and conversions should not need to be more 720 x 576 as this is the maximum quality I need to for a standard DVD. Would this make everything generally faster, My concern is not storage space as pointed out i am very aware storage is very cheap and i have plenty of it... the point i think i was trying to convey is that, working 1920 X 1080 right from the start to the very end ... is this much more computer processing time which in turn would affect real time viewing on the canvas and viewer etc. Am i making to much work for myself unnessarily ??..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:36:36 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:53:36 pm

I'd continue to work at 1920x1080 right up to the time when you export the completed project in HD as a file for use in Compressor to reate the m4v/ac3 files for DVD Studio Pro.

If there is the least possible chance this work will be revisited in the future, you'll want to have the HD files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:43:01 pm

Want speed? Less converting time? Full quality? Don't use FCP 7. Use Premiere Pro CC. It'll bring in the footage native, no converting. FCX doesn't convert either, but it doesn't have any DVD authoring software as Apple thinks people no longer use DVDs.

Or just get a larger hard drive. A 4TB drive can be had for less than $200. That'll hold a LOT of these shows.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Nov 2, 2015 at 9:57:49 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply... for the time being i only have FCP 7 and really want to master this if i can... storage is not an issue for me as pointed out it is very cheap to buy ... the issue is more about am i doing the right thing working 1920 x 1080 all the way from start to finish, or this is not road to go down.?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:45:58 pm

as Shane says, you'd be better off working in an app that can handle the native camera formats,
Premiere, or FCPX
(you can use your current Compressor to make the DVDs)

FCP7 really requires you to work with ProRes,
and your LT is as small as you can get without losing quality.

you could try down-scaling your rushes as you transcode to Pro res.
that'll take longer, and wouldn't be wise, i'd say.
it's smart to be HD "future" proof ("now" proof, really!)

Down-scalng on transcode would take longer, too,
especially for the best results.
you can test it, of course.

you could try an "off-line / on-line" process, where you work with a smaller file size while you edit,
then either reconnect to or recapture higher res versions,
but really it's a pain!
you don't want to do it.
it would take a lot longer, and is just not needed these days

PERFORMANCE
2 streams of LT should be very do-able, what sort of drives are you using?
FW800 should be do-able,
but USB3 or Thunderbolt would be better.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:00:19 am

Thankyou gentlemen,

So I am at peace that i am doing everything correctly and easily (on the workflow) as can be ... i am using a small 1TB USB 3 hardrive... i guess what suprised me was that fact that with all the concversions, play outs,mpge 2 conversions etc, from start to finish.. i was using nearly 600gig of storage space for this one project... mind you it is nearly 2 hours long though...
I guess just the time time and manpower taken with conversions etc - i wondred if i was making too much work formyself ... I have no other apps or pragrammes running while working on FCP 7 and i use a 21 inch Imac at the mo with 16 gig ram and 500 gig internal Memory.

Shane i am very slowly beginning to understand the pro's & Cons dare i say it with FCP??

I appreciate you guys taking the time to read and reply to my thread. cheers

Return to posts index

Gordon Henry
on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:04:27 am

Oh as i mentioned the storage was not a problem .. speed and time management is.. The main reason i work 1920 x 1080 is excatly as dave mentioned in the thread- Futire Proof for the clients.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2015 at 5:56:35 pm

If speed and time management are issues, then you need to look at apps that edit the footage without conversion. Premiere Pro and FCX. Mastering software that's over 5 years old, and discontinued to boot...is not advisable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]