FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anybody know about this new plugin?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Brown
Does anybody know about this new plugin?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:54:34 pm

I wish a had bookmarked this article, so I apologize in advance for not having more information.

I read an article and watched a video on this new plugin. (I cannot remember if it was just for Mac or not).

Essentially when using this plugin you import video footage into your NLE, and then the entire shot of frozen like a still photo. Using the tool included within this plugin, the user simply swipes the footage where they want the image to return to video.

The example I saw was of a man standing next to a creek. The creek was rushing with water, while the rest of the image was like a still frame.

I think this plugin was really low priced..something like $50, and I believe it just came out within this last year.

Does anybody know the plugin that I am referencing?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can remember.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Does anybody know about this new plugin?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:23:50 pm

I do recall seeing an ad for an app to turn a piece of video into a seamlessly looping animated .gif file, with a masking tool to isolate the action inside or outside the masked area. this gives the effect of say, a woman standing out in the wind, stock still, but her hair is blown by the wind. Or a drinking glass and bottle frozen in mid-pour, but the liquid keeps pouring.

Very cool, but limited effect, mostly for making screen wallpapers or web advertisements. I don't think it's actually so much a plug in for FCP editing as it is a stand-alone effect tool for web artists.

I don't know the name of it either, but a search for animated .gif building tools will probably turn it up.

Return to posts index

Daniel Brown
on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:37:26 pm

Hi Mark,

You triggered my memory. I should have looked for effects instead of plugin.

It is called Flixel, and if anybody is interested, here is the link:

https://flixel.com

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24:03 pm

Yes. Looks cool, but of limited utility. In the few niches that are appropriate for it, I agree it can work well.

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:26:16 pm

Check out mCinegraph from Motion VFX:

https://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-90.html

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:00:00 pm

You could make an entire music video montage out of these kinds of shots, but it gets old after a while, unless the shot is really motivated.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 31, 2015 at 1:09:06 am

more for advertising, posters or point of sale, i;d say.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 2, 2015 at 4:37:27 am

A little short sighted. I can see using this in all sorts of situations. Basically ANYWHERE you would normally have a freeze frame. Freeze, focus on a movement for a corporate or training video, or put bullets across with a more interesting freeze, then resume action. And it's not like this was ever a particularly hard effect to create, but now it's automated and more accessible (to the FCP X crowd that is).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:15:32 am

Well, the thing is, unless it's motivated, it just quickly becomes another cliche like shaky-cam, deliberate off-framing, dutch tilts, or more recently, fake light leaks and film grunge, whiteboard animations and drone aerials. All of these things are spices, never the main course unto themselves.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:43:14 pm

sure, Corporate, Training, Ads.
it'd be good for all those.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]