FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make someone appear as a car passes through the FOV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordan andrew
How to make someone appear as a car passes through the FOV
on Oct 29, 2015 at 6:35:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm very new to making films and to this website, but feel the best minds in the creative business are here.

I'm working on my first short film for a scholarship and will be shooting on a hero 4 silver @ 1080p60.

The scene i'm envisioning involves a static shot perpendicular to a bride on the street and I want to have a truck drive through the field of view entering from the right and exiting the left side of the screen.

What I'm most concerned with is right at the moment the truck is exiting the screen I want the driver of the truck to look as if he just transported from the truck to walking on the street towards the railing of the bridge. As if he just walked out from the back of the truck. Having the tailend of the truck and the person in the same shot until the truck is gone and the shot remains on the person walking towards the bridge.
I want to create an illusion of time suggesting that the person who was driving the truck that just exited the screen is now all of sudden walking towards the railing of the bridge.

How would I go about making this look realistic in FCP? I know that I should shoot a single shot on a tripod of both myself driving the truck and then walking towards the bridge And then cutting that up and layer them on top of each other and then cropping it in like the clone effect, but every time I try it one clip always takes over the other in FCP.

Sorry for such a long post. It's my first time and I really want this movie to turn out the best it can so I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks guys,

Jordan

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: How to make someone appear as a car passes through the FOV
on Oct 29, 2015 at 9:48:59 pm

i think you need to story board this sequence.

"walking on the street towards the railing of the bridge"

sounds like they're walking away from camera?
so how do we know it's the same person as was in the truck?

you don't really need any vfx or compositing either, in my mind.

1. establish the drier of the truck. MS driver in cabin. driver looks up, maybe sees something, cut to:
2. empty road, (WS) truck goes thru frame
3. cut down the line to MS of truck wiping frame to reveal driver on side of road
the closer shot will allow you to clearly see it's the same person.

an alternate shot 3 would be a tracking MS in front of the person as the truck goes by on the right of frame
the only magic is in the editing.

if you want the magical effect of the empty road / truck by to reveal person, then yes, you do need some fairly simple compositing.

as with all vfx, shooting it properly in the first place makes it simpler.
locked off camera
shot 1 WS empty road, truck drives thru
shot 2 WS road with driver, truck drives past

shot 3 safety pass of driver on road, NO TRUCK
just in case

get the driver to go at the same speed both times
so the driver would not be the "driver " character, but a different person, wearing the same clothes
the truck will be going so fast you won't be able to see clearly the driver.
you need to be able to do both shots fairly quickly one after the other so the lighting and bg don't change too much

the truck may well be kicking up some dust, or have some sort of exhaust,
so NOT having the truck go by in the character shot would not make for an easy composite, and the frame would be too clean.

in FCP line up both shots as closely as possible on V1 and V2
1st thing to try would be a simple jump cut
next thing would be a full frame wipe, either a transition, or a key-framed crop.
next step up in complexity would be a key-framed garbage matte.
these are relatively crude in FCP,
you get more control in Motion or After effects

of you cant match the 2 shots, you can revet to the clean truck-less shot,
and comp in the truck.
that's a more complex rotoscope job,
you might be able do it with a keyframe garbage matte, but the dust exhaust issues would be tricky to deal with.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 30, 2015 at 2:16:42 pm

This effect would make me forget about your story, and worry instead about a driverless truck left careening down a street. :-)

But How I'd do it is to shoot the empty frame/ man on the street/ walk sequence first, as a locked-down plate shot, then while still rolling, get the truck to drive thru the empty frame.

You can download an 8, 12, and 16-point multi-point masking tool for free, and use it to mask around the truck, using keyframes. (Google Paul Crisp multipoint masking tool for fcp7.)

This effect can also be done faster in FCPX, which has a fabulous drawn masking tool, or in Apple Motion. But in all three, I'm doing the same thing: the base layer is the guy standing and walking layer. Bottom layer has one edit cut in it: between the background with nobody, and the background with the character standing and then walking. The truck layer sits above, and wipes across the cut to reveal the change. The truck layer is the truck and road/lower part of the frame only. Truck is masked and the mask travels with it, using simple keyframing at the first, last, and middle frames. Any spots where the mask gets out of line, correct and add a keyframe there. Should not take long.

If the masking is too hard for you, you can try a soft, feathered wipe or a feathered crop effect animated across just ahead of the truck. Adding a little blur to the truck will also help.

Return to posts index

jordan andrew
on Oct 30, 2015 at 11:26:51 pm

Guys,

thank you both for such good ideas to pull this off.

Maybe I should have included the premise to my short flick. The setting begins with a guy talking to a therapist. He is there because he attempted to commit suicide by jumping from a bridge and is telling the therapist the events of that day and how someone talked him down. And the plot twist is the therapist tells him that no one else was there on the bridge that day. And I'm going to have flashback shots of him having a conversation with himself on the bridge. So he had this epiphiphany that he, himself was the difference that day. And saved his own life.

That's the idea behind that introductory shot of the bridge. So I'm going to try those strategies you guys mentioned to the best of my beginning abilities and get back to you after this weekend to let you know how it went.

Thank you again for the tips!

Jordan

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 1, 2015 at 9:07:04 pm

painting the person OUT before the truck enters frame might be a better approach.
especially if the truck kicks up some dust or leaves some sort of wake.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:02:43 pm

Very groovy lateral thinking there!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:52:01 pm

of course a lot would depend on the background:
moving trees, running water would make it harder.
especially as in an empty frame there is no "smoke and mirrors" to distract the gaze.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]