FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Streamclip settings for ripping DVDs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
MPEG Streamclip settings for ripping DVDs
on Oct 29, 2015 at 1:32:05 am

I have several DVDs of concert footage that I need to edit in FCP 7 and I'm not sure what settings I should use in MPEG Streamclip to rip the footage from the DVDs. The video specs in "show stream info" say 224 mpeg-2, 720x480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, 6.12 mbps.

Should I use prores 422, prores LT, DV50, or some other codec?

Also, later on I might be adding footage ripped from a blu-ray, so I'm not sure if that has any influence on what codec I use to rip the DVD footage. Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: MPEG Streamclip settings for ripping DVDs
on Oct 29, 2015 at 2:37:13 am

It makes VERY little difference Bobby, because DVDs are so highly compressed. However, I would recommend Pro Res 422, simply because it will tend to hold better than the other codecs you mentioned when you lose a generation, color correct, etc.

The stuff you rip from Blu Ray is clearly not going to match, so don't let that impact your decision. You should rip that to ProRes as well BTW, though MPEG Streanclip won't handle ripping from bluray, or certainly didn't when I tried a few years back. I can't remember what I used for that, but it took some experimenting to find a good solution.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Oct 29, 2015 at 8:49:14 am

Thanks David!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 29, 2015 at 3:35:16 pm

You're very welcome sir!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]