FORUMS: list search recent posts

300 Takes, Batch sound syncing question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Maximov
300 Takes, Batch sound syncing question
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:52:06 am

Hello!
This is my first time ever posting to this forum!
I have been a very long time follower of it, but time came to finally post after 7 years of reading. I wouldn't post, but I can't find a solution to my current situation.

So here it goes:
We are shooting a feature film, we use Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, for sound we use Zoom H6 (boom, 2-4 lavs depending on scene).
To camera we feed audio from sound guy's Zoom H6.

OUR SITUATION:
We have more than 300 takes that are in the need of sync.
This set up has no timecode sync, as BMPC4K does not have this option. We slate every single take too.

HERE IS PROBLEM:
We have 300 ProRes files, and we have 300 folders from H6, in those folders there are bunch of WAV files like "ZOOM0001_LR, ZOOM0001_Tr1, ZOOM0001_Tr2, ZOOM0001_Tr3, ZOOM0001_Tr4".

How do we batch synchronize footage with sound, this project is on tight dead line and low budget, so manual sync is least preferred solution??????

I haven't decided what software to use for editing, I can work in FCP7, FCPX, Premiere, AVID. Final choice will be made based on audio syncing solution...

Please help. THANKS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 300 Takes, Batch sound syncing question
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:55:24 am

Adobe offers a sync with waveforms. And then there's Pluraleyes, a separate app that works with all those apps.

Really, this stuff needs to be planned for. Why did you slate if you weren't going to use them properly?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:07:16 pm

300!?!?!

Боже мой

The zoom audio files; do they have any time stamp at all?

Assuming no, well, Final Cut Pro x can synch tracks via audio, in multicam mode. Or Pluralize, as mentioned.

It would help a bit to know more about the nature of the project, how the final output is supposed to look, and why so many takes.

I'm guessing it's not because the narrator was Mel Tillis.

Is it something like a station promo, where the same phrase might be used laid up against a multitude of locations? Or is this an e-commerce thing, where you're making 300 individual product demonstration "snippets" for youtube or the like?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:50:16 pm

300 takes...I assume not all of the same scene. 300 separate takes, over the course of a short film (say 40 scenes, 8 takes each...or more scenes and less takes) is quite normal.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 24, 2015 at 3:43:50 am

"We have 300 ProRes files, and we have 300 folders from H6, in those folders there are bunch of WAV files like "ZOOM0001_LR, ZOOM0001_Tr1, ZOOM0001_Tr2, ZOOM0001_Tr3, ZOOM0001_Tr4""

FCP has no simple way of bringing those mono files in as multi-track audio clips.
each track comes in as it's own clip.
you'd need to spend time in FCP first preparing the audio files / clips.

there's probably some other apps that would do this, but FCP can't

running PLuraleyes on those wild tracks could result in lots of missed audio clips (the quitter ones)

nick

Return to posts index

Alex Mallis
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:54:18 am

use Wave Agent to combine all those individual channels into one multitrack http://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/software/wave-agent (you can batch!)

then use multicam syncing in fcpx or plural eyes.

Alex Mallis

AnalectFilms.com
brooklynfilmmakerscollective.com

Return to posts index

Alex Maximov
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:23:01 pm

I am editing feature film, so we have around 50 scenes, so its actually more than 300 takes. But this number is not the problem.

Done some thinking and tinkering around with various apps and I come to realize that the problem is very easy to solve.

The main idea was to automate the process as much as possible to save tens of hours.
I had to bake 2-5 multi-track files into one multitrack wave file without downgrading quality because this is what sound designer will be working with.

I haven't found anything like this, so I recorder a tutorial:
Please watch my video for complete step by step solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]