FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPhone h.264 videos now play without transcoding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
iPhone h.264 videos now play without transcoding
on Oct 21, 2015 at 4:42:52 pm

Okay this is interesting. I imported some iPhone 5 videos a couple months ago into a project and was immediately met with an 'Out of Error' message when trying to play, either in the browser or the timeline. No biggy. I transcoded to ProRes422. But I just clicked on one of the original .mov files and, voila! it now plays. I'm assuming this is due to a Pro Video Format update vs 2.0.3 that occurred automatically on Sept 22, 2015. Nice to see an old legacy app like FCP 6.0.6 still getting some loving! (even if inadvertently).

However, I don't like the Accurate Gamma setting so I've been using the Gamma Correction/ Approximate. For whatever reason, the .mov H.264 files are stuck on Accurate and therefore stand out (too dark), unless I change everything to Playback/ Gamma Correction/ Accurate. For that reason, I'll stick with the ProRes files. But otherwise, this could've saved me a lot of disk space!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: iPhone h.264 videos now play without transcoding
on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:14:10 pm

Could have saved disk space, but not headache. FCP doesn't like H.264, and playing back is but ONE issue. Main ones are loss of sync when editing, or when exporting. Or different parts of the video exporting than the ones you have in the timeline, thus messing up the export.

If you want to edit without transcoding, you need to use Adobe Premiere. FCP requires a transcode to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: iPhone h.264 videos now play without transcoding
on Oct 21, 2015 at 6:40:37 pm

It's an anomaly. Turns out a few of the iPhone clips play fine without transcoding. Others, I'm still getting the "Error: Out of Memory" popup. Either way, I'll be using the ProRes versions anyway. Saving a headache is far better than saving a little disk space!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]