Audio Sync Issues FCP 6/7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert S.  Pugh
Audio Sync Issues FCP 6/7
on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:44:02 pm

Hello all!

Over View
I'm currently working on a new project for new client. I've been asked to polish a pre-existing edit, with some additional clips and grading.
The project files are largely .mov h.264 (48hz audio). I've completed my alterations and grade, including some minor improvements to the audio quality.

The Issue

When I'm exporting the video from Final Cut Pro the audio is going out of sync. I say going, as it seems to be okay at first and then further down the timeline it becomes out of sync, and I don't know why. I've tried a few things to fix it, and have listed these below.

Settings and Files
Files are: MOV H.264 (48hz audio)
Timeline (1920X1080)

What I've tried
There were some mp4 files in the project (that had audio) and I wondered if they were causing an issue.
So I removed the mp4 files from the project and cleared the audio render files. I also cleared the video render files.
Then closed and opened FCP and tried exporting with and without rendering, neither of which seemed to help.

I believe the audio to be set at 48hz in the timeline settings to match the clip.

Worth Mentioning?
When I playback the video in FCP 6 the audio seems to be synched okay, all the way through which has left me a little out of ideas and very stressed!!

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be gratefully received. If I've missed anything please ask me.

Many Thanks, Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Audio Sync Issues FCP 6/7
on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:18:14 pm

When working in FCP, always, Always, ALWAYS transcode source footage to ProRes 422. You can use Compressor to do it.

Do it now. Avoid problems later.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:32:14 pm

Dave is correct, except he left out the reason why you should transcode, which might leaf you to think it's just his preference.

The fact is, FCP Legacy does not, and never did, handle h.264 well. Yes, it appears to work, but that's just an illusion. The issues you're having are directly related to the apps underlying inability to properly decode h.264 and other mpeg variants once the timeline exceeds just a few minutes in length. This us probably due to h.264's processor intensive nature.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Robert S.  Pugh
on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:41:03 pm

Thank you very much for the help, I never thought of this! :) I'll give it a blast as soon as I'm back in the office tomorrow morning.
In the meantime, would you suggest anything else? (just in case)

Thanks once again, I'll let you know how I get on :)

Rob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 20, 2015 at 7:31:32 pm

Change the RENDER settings to render to PRORES 422. Then render, and export. This is a quick bandaid that sometimes works...but not always.

FCP does not like MP4 nor H.264...as they said. Always convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert S.  Pugh
on Oct 20, 2015 at 6:38:53 pm

Thank you very much for your help, I'll try this as soon as I'm back in the office in the morning.
Hopefully this will work :) thanks once again!

Rob

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 20, 2015 at 8:27:09 pm

And all your audio sources need to be on the same standard for sampling rate. Otherwise, you'll still have drift and loss of lip synch over time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]