FORUMS: list search recent posts

here's a throwback for the oldschoolers: 24pa captured at 29.97

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Perlman
here's a throwback for the oldschoolers: 24pa captured at 29.97
on Oct 11, 2015 at 12:31:44 am

I'm getting ready to output a feature documentary that I edited. It was shot on the DVX100B at 24PA and captured using a rinky dinky mini-dv camera so 29.97 capture. The media is 29.97 interlaced.

I know now that pulldown should have been removed on capture but its too late to recapture all of the footage (200+ hours).

What's the most effective way to make a deinterlaced output? I'm at wits end!

Return to posts index

John Kaley
Re: here's a throwback for the oldschoolers: 24pa captured at 29.97
on Oct 12, 2015 at 6:46:06 pm

Since the pulldown cadence is different between each edit point, there is no global way to correctly remove the pulldown. You'll have to fix it on an individual clip basis with Nattress Film Effects:
http://www.nattress.com/Products/filmeffects/filmeffects.htm

Return to posts index

Alexander Perlman
on Oct 12, 2015 at 6:50:20 pm
Last Edited By Alexander Perlman on Oct 12, 2015 at 6:51:03 pm

Hey John,

So if I understand correctly, I need to drop this effect on every single clip in my timeline?

My sequence is 29.97. Should I copy the contents to a 23.976 sequence first?

I have a few seperate 60i clips in the film. How do I deinterlace those vs. the 24PA content?

Thank you so so much! You are a life-saver.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 12, 2015 at 7:19:40 pm

Wait...what do you need to deliver? Are you required to deliver a 23.98 timebase, or 29.97? On tape, or digital file?

[Alexander Perlman] "I have a few seperate 60i clips in the film. How do I deinterlace those vs. the 24PA content?"

And then there's THIS complication. If you were in a 29.97 sequence, simply using the Nattress Smart Delinterlacer would work. But...why deinterlace? Again, this leads back to the question, what do you need to deliver? ALL roads lead to there, so all the workflow is targetted at what you are delivering. If you need to deliver 23.98, then it isn't as simple as deinterlacing the 60i...you'll have to convert it to 23.98 progressive, and it won't look as smooth as the original 60i...in fact, it'll be a bit skippier than normal....skippier than the 24PA footage that was DESIGNED to have frames removed. 60i isn't, so it'll have odd frames removed and ...as I said, look a tad skippy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alexander Perlman
on Oct 12, 2015 at 7:25:46 pm

Hey Shane,

I'm standing by for final delivery specs from the EP but We signed with a distribution company that will arrange contracts with online distributors (Hulu, Netflix, etc.), so I'm assuming that we'll need a progressive delivery.

I don't mind if the 60i stuff looks skippy--its some terrible black and white footage that we're licensing from a Youtuber that gets 1-2 minutes of screentime at most.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Oct 12, 2015 at 7:32:42 pm

I believe I posted the wrong link to fix your edit. You need the "Standards Converter" not "Film Effects"

Download a free trial and take it for a spin. It should solve all your issues. You will need to put the effects on each clip, in a 24p (23.976) timeline. It will handle the 60i footage too.

Check carefully for small gaps in your timeline after dropping all you clips into the new sequence.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

Return to posts index

Alexander Perlman
on Nov 1, 2015 at 6:18:00 pm

Hey John,

So I downloaded the demo of Standards Converter and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

I'm working with 24PA footage so I tried use G Advanced Pulldown Remover. The Nattress manual explicitly states to apply this in a 60i timeline (as opposed to the 23.976 timeline that you specified), because it basically converts the 24PA content to 24P, which should live in a 60i timeline.

I exported the video clip and applied a reverse telecine in Compressor. It seems to have worked, but its a remarkably convoluted workflow (there's hundreds of shots over 72 minutes of TRT), so I'm wondering if there is an easier workflow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PS. Here's a link to a reference output after going from 24PA to 24P then being reverse telecined.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/172466633731b740492945919b6ac0a2201511...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]