FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro freezes on splash screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Nash
Final Cut Pro freezes on splash screen
on Oct 9, 2015 at 3:30:29 pm

Hi guys

I'm having a strange problem with FCP 7.0. Never had any issues on my system (MacBook Pro 4GB RAM, 2013 model) with FCP before. Over the past week or two, I've tried to open up Final Cut and it looks like it's loading, but then I get the spinning beachball of death. "Application not responding" so I force quit, re-open, same thing happens again.

Doesn't matter if I restart or not. I also get the same error even if I'm opening up different .FCP project files, or just clicking the app from my dock to run the app, without opening a project file. Same issue.

Here's what I've done to try to fix the issue:

• Trashed all FCP preferences
• Reset PRAM
• Uninstalled and reinstalled FCP

The only thing that's worked so far is trashing the preferences, but it's only a temporary fix. FCP will ask me for to set the scratch disk (when I first did this, I selected my laptop hard drive but it didn't work). So next I repeated the process and selected an external hard drive as a scratch disk. That works for a couple days, and then when I open a different day, it freezes on splash screen again. So I repeat the process and select a new hard drive, works for a couple days.... I'm running out of hard drives!

I'm totally confused as to why this is happening and would really appreciate any feedback. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. First time poster so please let me know if I've left out any crucial info for troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro freezes on splash screen
on Oct 9, 2015 at 6:04:22 pm

....and your operating system version is which, precisely?

If you've upgraded recently, you might want to think about reverting.

Remember that FCP7 is about 6 years old, and Apple hasn't supported it for about 4 years. Apple designs new OS's with absolutely no thought to FCP 7 compatability.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Nash
on Oct 9, 2015 at 6:11:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3. I updated back in April when it came out, but if it's an OS issue wouldn't it strike you as strange that the issue didn't kick up until six months in? You make a great point though, perhaps it is time to upgrade to X anyhow...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2015 at 10:54:28 pm

Going to X? If you like working in paradigm of multiple video tracks and audio tracks, you'll hate it. If it doesn't matter to you, it's worth a try.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 9, 2015 at 11:11:47 pm

Dave, isn't it considered heresy to say such things about any Apple product, much less X???

Better watch your back, the Apple Taliban will come after you for that.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 14, 2015 at 5:45:58 pm

I prefer to think of it as objectivity, David. There are, after all, quite a fes NLEs out there that give you multiple tracks.

At my workplace I'm pretty much forced to use Avid. If you futz with the controls enough, you can get it to work a lot like FCP Classic. Which is a good thing, in my mind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 10, 2015 at 1:10:09 am

"I selected my laptop hard drive but it didn't work"

didn't work?
what does that mean?

maybe repairing permissions might help

is there a particular point that you can see on your splash screen that the loading stops?
like a particular plug-in or 3rd party effect?
if so you could remove those effects from the plugins folder.

4g of RAM is not much, by the way.
is FCP trying to open a specific project?

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]