FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Film Scans in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John-Paul Palescandolo
4K Film Scans in Final Cut Pro 7
on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:16:38 am

I recently had my 16mm and 35mm film from college and grad school scanned on a Scanity at 4K. The movies are encoded as ProRes 4444 with a frame rate of 23.98 fps. The 35mm movies have dimensions of 4096 x 3112 with a data rate of 1.66 Gb/s and the 16mm movies have dimensions of 4096 x 2480 and a data rate of 1.3 Gb/s. I had the finished QuickTime movies transferred on to a 4TB Lacie 7200 rpm Thunderbolt 2 drive and I'm running a 3.0 GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM.

My question is that when I try and play back these 4K files in Final Cut 7, FCP doesn't seem to be able to handle the files. I've tried lowering the RT, Video Quality, Frame Rate and other playback settings, but to no avail.

Do I need to use FCP X for this, or is there some other piece of gear that I need to work with 4K media? Can the Lacie drive not keep up with the data rate, despite being Thunderbolt 2? I also have a Thunderbolt 2 RAID, if that would be a better option?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 4K Film Scans in Final Cut Pro 7
on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:31:02 am

You have multiple issues with the workflow you're attempting. First FCP 7 does not support 4K, and there's certainly no way you can play Pro Res 4444 from a single drive. How many drives does the Thunderbolt RAID have, because it too may not have the throughput required to playback Pro Res 4444 4K.

In case you're not aware, every time you double the number of spinning disks in s RAID array you double the throughput, do by not offering the number of drives to readers here every time you mention having a RAID, you make it necessary for others to have to ask.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John-Paul Palescandolo
on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:44:43 am
Last Edited By John-Paul Palescandolo on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:45:57 am

I have an Areca ARC-8050T2 8-Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID, which is equipped with an 800 MHz Dual-Core processor and 1GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM. Each of the eight bays has a HGST 6TB 7200 rpm drive in it. I copied one of the 4K 35mm movie files onto the RAID, imported it into FCP 7 and it plays back just fine. Problem solved?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 9, 2015 at 2:09:11 am
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Oct 9, 2015 at 2:10:33 am

Excellent!!!

According to Apple's own documentation, FCP is not supposed to support files wider than 2000 pixels, but if it does, that's good to know.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Oct 9, 2015 at 3:48:43 pm

David is correct, it is most likely down sampling to 2K.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

John-Paul Palescandolo
on Oct 9, 2015 at 5:00:12 pm

I wonder if it is down sampling to 2K. The sequence settings are set to the full dimensions of the file

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 10, 2015 at 1:16:51 am

"FCP is not supposed to support files wider than 2000 pixels, but if it does, that's good to know."

that's what they say,
but in truth it does.

i don't think you can manually make a 4k sequence,
but drop a 4k file into a new sequence, and it will conform itself to the file.
of course there's no RT, but the file will play if your drive is fast enough.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]