FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Prores 444 Log C as Proxy in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Lizana
Importing Prores 444 Log C as Proxy in FCP 7
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:51:02 pm

Hi all,

I have this Alexa Prores 444 Log C footage that I want to edit in FCP 7. Since the edit will be done in an old laptop without the disk space or speed to handle 444 properly, I´d like to import it as Prores Proxy into FCP and when the editing gets done, replace the proxy files with the original 444 in order to export an XML to Resolve for colour grading.

Is there a way to do this ?.

I know you can create great dailies in Resolve (even apply a preview only 3d lut), but this laptop does not have enough GPU power to do so. So it has to be done inside FCP 7.

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine Ltda.

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing Prores 444 Log C as Proxy in FCP 7
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:02:05 pm

The only way you can do this in FCP is to bring in the full res footage, and then use the MEDIA MANAGER to RECOMPRESS the footage to ProRes Proxy. But this would need to be tested. Convert one clip, do a simple edit, send it to Resolve and see if Resolve can relink to the original. It should be able to, but always ALWAYS test your workflows.

Mind you, this will take about as long, if not longer than using Resolve to do this. And there is no Log and Transfer method, as the files are already Quicktime files.

You really should start looking at updating your hardware, and even your editing software, if you are going to edit current shooting formats. You are hampering yourself by sticking to the old stuff.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Lizana
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:17:28 pm

I shane, thanks for the answer.

No need to do the resolve test. Already know I can go back and forth with an XML from FCP 7 into Resolve.

My struggle is how to create a proxy sequence in FCP 7 in order to edit fast and light and then be able to transfer all those cuts into a new FCP 7 sequence, but this time in the original Prores 444 format.

I tried creating a 444 sequence, imported a few clips in it and then did a media manager offline which created a new proxy sequence but no proxy clips out of the 444 files. They all appeared like media offline.

Will keep testing. Anyadvice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I´m not that obsolete but this prom is a collaboration between many people and FCP 7 was the software chosen.

Thanks again

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:25:14 pm

[Rodrigo Lizana] "I tried creating a 444 sequence, imported a few clips in it and then did a media manager offline which created a new proxy sequence but no proxy clips out of the 444 files."

Don't do that. Don't make any sequence and put any footage into a sequence. Bring the full res clips into FCP...in a bin in the Browser. Now, in that bin, select all the clips AND THEN use the Media Manager to RECOMPRESS. No footage should be going into any sequence for this procedure.

[Rodrigo Lizana] "BTW, I´m not that obsolete but this prom is a collaboration between many people and FCP 7 was the software chosen."

No problem....FCP 7 is still seeing heavy use. Just making a suggestion. But yeah, if this is a collaboration and many people are involved, gotta use the same software.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Lizana
on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:03:04 pm
Last Edited By Rodrigo Lizana on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:06:28 pm

Thanks again Shane !!.

Ok, did it your way.

Now I have a new project (which I saved as online inside the internal HDD along with the recompressed proxy files). Created a Proxy sequence, did a few cuts and I´m ready to bring that back into a 444 project (from which I´ll be XML it into Resolve). But I´m lost there.

also I´m not able to eject the drive with the original files because it says FCP is using it, even if I close the 444 project and remain only with the proxy one.

Thanks again

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:06:16 pm

[Rodrigo Lizana] "Created a Proxy sequence, did a few cuts and I´m ready to bring that back into a 444 project (from which I´ll be XML it into Resolve). But I´m lost there.
"

OK...you can take the proxy media offline and then try to relink to the original media...just point FCP to the folder it's in. The media should have the same information. Duplicate the sequence before you try to relink.

If that doesn't work...the more typical workflow is to export the XML of your proxy sequence to Resolve, and then have resolve relink to the masters.

Normally the offline/online workflow in FCP only works if you use Log and Transfer. But the media managing option has been used by a few, but it's not as solid as Log and Transfer to Proxy, and then batch capture at full res.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Lizana
on Oct 8, 2015 at 5:36:32 pm

Ok it works,...with a few bugs. This was my experience in case somebody else needs this rare workflow.

First the recompressed files adds a "v" at the end of the name so you have to reconnect each clip manually as the name differs from one another. Because of this the "reconnect all files in relative path" option to ease the connection does´t work.

You have to create a 444 project before importing the XML otherwise it will create a Proxy 422 sequence instead of 444.

What´s nice is that you can deselected the applied filters from the proxy sequence, as this project gets 2.39 mask but this has to be done at the end otherwise resolve will grade the black bars outside the 2.39 area.

thank you very much Shane for your help. If you want to add something else, please do it so as i only have done test so far. No real work.

Thanks again !!!!

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Lizana
on Oct 8, 2015 at 7:47:09 pm

[Shane Ross] "Normally the offline/online workflow in FCP only works if you use Log and Transfer. But the media managing option has been used by a few, but it's not as solid as Log and Transfer to Proxy, and then batch capture at full res."

Do you know if there is a plug in available to add Log and Transfer support for Pro Res in FCP 7 ?

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2015 at 7:51:29 pm

[Rodrigo Lizana] "Do you know if there is a plug in available to add Log and Transfer support for Pro Res in FCP 7 ?"

ProRes Quicktime is directly supported by FCP, no Log and Transfer needed. Log and Transfer is for those formats that ARE NOT already quicktime...MXF, XDCAM, AVCHD. But the Alexa records to ProRes Quicktime, so there is no way to log and transfer, and no need to. But that's also the problem with the proxy workflow...you can't do the offline/online via log and transfer because there's no need to log and transfer.

So you can't Media Manage WITHOUT it adding the -v? Wondering why it's doing that...it shouldn't.

The better bet would be to use Resolve to create the proxies, and then send the XML of the final locked picture, and have Resolve relink to the masters. But that's something you said you won't do.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Lizana
on Oct 8, 2015 at 8:12:38 pm

I follow you about Log and Transfer.

Yes, it´s pretty easy to create dailies with Resolve, even with 3D preview LUTS applied but it´s not something I´m not willing to do, it´s just this computer cannot run Resolve.

A new workflow comes to my mind. One is having Prores Proxies delivered by the Codex Vault we are using to clone and archive the footage (see we are not that obsolete :-) ). In that way we can keep the original Prores 444 files on the Resolve suite and have editors deliver just the 422 Proxy files. When finished they should be delivering the XML file and on the grading import the XML file into a new final 444 project. All this assuming the Codex Vault won´t create a "v" letter at the end of the proxy clip like FCP 7 does.

BTW, this "v" letter is really strange. The computer does not see those proxy files as quicktime, it has no .mov extension but FCP does indeed recognize them and I was able to edit them even with the original hard drive (the one with the 444 clips) ejected. Just weird.

Rodrigo Lizana
Pixine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]