FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing drives with FCP 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Laird
Managing drives with FCP 7.0.3
on Oct 2, 2015 at 10:09:00 pm

I am taking over a job with 3 external drives (1-2TB & 2-1TB). The drives have not been managed very well and there is a lot of duplicate media (one large clip is in there 7 times). Is there any way to find out which of the clips have been used by FCP and which have not? We have about 20 projects and many timelines all of which are pertinent to the to the final project. In short the drives are a mess and we are ruining out of space. Thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Managing drives with FCP 7.0.3
on Oct 3, 2015 at 2:59:22 am

[Robert Laird] "Is there any way to find out which of the clips have been used by FCP and which have not?"

Alas, no. Not unless you move them from their location and then notice that they are missing in FCP. There's no way to know which of the duplicates are the one FCP references. Or if all of them are...and which of all of those are then actually in the cut. Not until you move them. But I don't really recommend doing that.

Sorry, but organization is key with FCP...and needs to start early. With the current mess you are in...not sure what to say. because you can try to Media manage things from within the projects...say use the MEDIA MANAGER and MOVE the media to another drive. But if ALL of the media is referenced by the project, then all of the media will move, even the duplicates. And this would be something you'd need to do in the project, one bin at a time.

What I might be tempted to do, personally, is get a single 4TB drive. COPY (on the Finder level) all of the media...and not copy over the duplicates. Put the media in a central folder, stills in another folder, Music...etc. Organize how you like. And then DUPLICATE the project...take the original drives offline, and then open that project, and when you get the RECONNECT window, point to the new drive and have it search. Any clips that referenced one of those clips that was duplicated, will now all reference a single copy....if all those clips happened to have the same metadata (tape name, timecode, duration). Anything that was missed I might try to connect a clip at a time, and if it's mising, look on the original source drives and copy it over, then reconnect again.

I might NOT bring over the RENDERS...and instead opt to re-render the sequences to free up space too.

But that's me.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]