FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline suddenly changed and looks completely different

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariella Furman
Timeline suddenly changed and looks completely different
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:59:12 am

Hello everyone! I am running 7.0.3 on mac 10.10.3.
My editor created a Reception sequence for a wedding today. I checked it over, everything looked good. I left it open and rendered it while I took a phone call. After the phone call, the timeline looked completely different. Chunks of audio were missing, chunks of video were missing. Some of it looked fine, but other parts the video was there but the audio tracks were missing. I didn't touch it and I didn't leave my desk while it was rendering.

I went to autosave vault and the same thing was happening to all the versions of the reception. I went back a half hour, an hour, and in all of those versions the audio is just PUFF gone in some of the clips. the strange thing is, sometimes the audio PLAYS on the timeline when there is nothing on the audio tracks.. so no actual audio on A1 to A8. It's like playing ghost audio! when I scroll through, I can hear audio.

Also there are sudden chunks of black, 5 minute chunks in between parts. It's almost as if someone went in and messed with the project. However, the autosave projects were all doing the same exact thing.

It's like my clips and audio decided to either play musical chairs or run away from the sequence. Anyone know what could be the issue?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Timeline suddenly changed and looks completely different
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:24:28 am

I'll bet you're editing h.264 or another mpeg variant right?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:47:40 am

It is Apple Pro Res 422 LT

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2015 at 2:42:26 am

Humm??? That's very surprising and very unusual Ariella. Unfortunately, it indicates a potentially more complicated fix, unless it's a simple cure that you can achieve by just trashing preferences. Try that first... If it cures your symptoms terrific, if not, we'll have to go deeper.

Meanwhile, which version of the OS are you running?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:13:17 am

thank you I will try trashing preferences when I get in the office tomorrow and let you know! Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:18:33 pm

If David's proposed fix works, great. If not, don't forget to provide Your OS version right down to the last decimal point.

FCP 7 is six-year-old, no-longer-supported software. Newer OS's were not designed with it in mind. With FCP 7, every time you update the OS, you're taking another roll of the dice on the fate of the software that provides your livelihood.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:29:28 pm

hey everyone, trashing preferences didn't work :( I am on Yosemite 10.10.3

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:34:23 pm

I tried reconnecting all the footage, changing the names of the footage folders, opening it on 3 of our other computers, and also making another XML file. Nothing works. I think I'm just going to have to re-do the reception.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:51:12 pm

Before starting over, first try using the Render Manager to delete all the render files for that project. Then re-render.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:51:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 2, 2015 at 3:52:13 pm

I don't think anyone has completely chronicled all the things that break in FCP 7 when it runs on Yosemite, an OS that came out 3 years after Apple cut off support for FC7.

Personally, if I was counting on FCP 7 to make MY living, I'd be running an earlier OS on my editing machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:11:04 pm

I cut a feature in FCP7 on Yosemite. It's OK.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:45:42 pm

Good for you! You rolled the dice and they came up 7.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:43:46 pm

So it sounds like something to do with the render. Are you rendering to the boot drive? or to an external "scratch" A/V drive? Have you used Disk Utility to run diagnostics on the boot drive and Av drive? How much empty space is there on your boot drive and Av drive? How are they connected?

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 4:37:06 pm

So I am going to bump this post since this happened to me 2 additional times. I just opened a project my editor did- a Wedding reception. It came up completely different. The one camera was missing from the timeline. There were huge black spaces where footage used to be. Some footage was not playing. Sometimes when I ran my mouse over the black space, footage would appear then disappear.

To answer your questions, I am editing off a USB 3.0 Hard Drive and all of my render files except for Autosave vault are in a folder called FCP files on the hard drive.

So video, audio render, capture scratch, etc ----> All on the USB 3.0 Hard drive
Autosave Vault ----> all on my main computer's hard drive (in case something happens to the USB 3.0 hard drive).

There is 1.4tb of empty space on the harddrive (it is a 4gb hard drive)

On my main computer I am editing off of (and where Autosave goes) there is 280 gb of free space.

I tried deleting all my render files. I tried deleting the main final cut pro plist files. Is there anything else I can try? Nothing helped restore my project.

Return to posts index

Ariella Furman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 4:37:59 pm

thanks everyone for helping me diagnose this. My gut is telling me nothing can be done, that this is a yosemite problem interacting with FCP 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]