<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dom London
Oh dear. Yosemite whinging at FCP 7.0.3 please offer advice
on Sep 30, 2015 at 8:44:23 pm

Hi guys

Can anyone help with FCP 7.0.3 and Yosemite 10.10.5

Ive just updated and (of course) FCP7 hangs on loading, heres the splash screen

0_fcp-hangs.png

Can anyone please offer any steps to AVOID me spending hours re-installing from all the DVD disks? thanks

Dom

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Oh dear. Yosemite whinging at FCP 7.0.3 please offer advice
on Sep 30, 2015 at 9:30:44 pm

Not really. FCP 7 support stopped at 10.7. Apple stopped taking FCP Classic into consideration when it furthered development of the OS. Typically the apps are patched to work with the new OS.

It wasn't supported under 10.8, but it did work.

It wasn't supported under 10.9...but it did work. Compressor and Motion stopped working for many many people, and not all functionality in FCP 7 worked (people reported various issues)...but it worked.

It isn't supported under 10.10. Some people report success, others, not so much. And again for others it works, but not all features...things like Log and Transfer not working like it did, or smoothcam not working at all.

If you rely on software to make money...it's best to keep it on a computer with an OS that supports it...and to not upgrade that OS. Know that if you do update the OS, you take the risk of things not working. This is one reason why it's always advisable to CLONE your working OS before you do any upgrading. With something like Carbon Copy Cloner. So if things don't work, all you need to do is boot from the clone and erase the HD and clone back. Guessing that you didn't do that.

You can try removing and installing FCP 7...but you wanted to avoid that. My best advice is to back up the computer and go back to an OS that supports FCP 7.

Of course wait for others to chime in. I'm just the harbinger of doom!

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Sep 30, 2015 at 9:48:47 pm

Yes, I'm sorry, I should've said in my original post that I didn't want to get into the whole Final Cut Pro/iMovie pro debate.

For what it's worth, I've just been working with the BBC channel 4 and Sky TV over here and out of the biggest three National broadcaaters the reality isi that none of them use Final Cut 10, quite a few of them are still happily using Final Cut seven and with just one motion picture under its belt (Focus) I think it's difficult to argue for the moment that it is the way to go often Final Cut seven

NOW... That being said, if I could get back to the original query, can anyone offered Advice [without preferably involving hours reinstalling DVDs as mentioned in my original post] to help me get this working, I'd be very grateful

Dom

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2015 at 10:15:02 pm

I made no mention of FCX.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Sep 30, 2015 at 10:18:13 pm

Yes I'm not interested in fcpx or "keeping up with the latest software" that isn't fit for (my and others ) purpose. Instead I'm grateful for any solutions with the fcp 7 hang I'm getting

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 30, 2015 at 10:48:20 pm

FCP has worked OK for me under Yosemite, bar one problem.

if your launch is hanging on loading that specific effect,
the first thing to try would b e to REMOVE that effect

go to you System Drive / Library / Application Support / Final Cut Pro System Support / Plugins
you can create a new folder within Final Cut Pro System Support for your removed plugins.
move the troublesome ones into it.

the problem i mentioned?
the new OS must have some slightly different way of using eye-dropped colour pickers
so colour picking, based on existing eye dropper icons in FCP doesn't work.
in MOST cases you can click on the colour swatch, and open the colour picker window, and use it's eye dropper,
BUT colour matching in the colour correction tools doesn't work.
if you do a lot of Colour Correction in FCP you should consider reverting to your previous OS

one you've figured out which of your plugins work and which don't,
it would be helpful to post a list back here.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 30, 2015 at 11:09:34 pm

hang on... that's a standard FCP effect, isn't it? not a 3rd party one.
well that;s weird,
as i say FCP is working for me with all it's native effects.
i dont even know where they live.

re-installing FCP wont take hours.
just re-intall the app, NOT all the extra media, etc. that's on the other disks.

nick

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Sep 30, 2015 at 11:22:16 pm

A lot of great suggestions and ideas to follow up there

Thanks. Will investigate

D

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:19:18 am

Well...The major broadcasters in the UK use Media composer, Premiere Pro and FCPX, dependent on intention and/or use. FCP7 was dropped by the broadcasters after Apple dropped them.
Bottom line. You can't go back to a working system after updating to a later operating system from an earlier one. You will have to start from scratch and re-install everything from the ground up, using a qualified O/S as the starting point. As a seasoned professional like yourself I can't imagine what you thought an upgrade to Yosemite was going to give you over what you had. Working at the BBC we don't have admin privileges, so we can't update anything, for this very reason.

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:09:02 am

Please tell
Me who uses fcpx - in an FOI reqywstvrgeyvhave tild me they DONT use FCOX

ANYHWHERE

None of them do

But please as I say can we not turn this into another fcpx debate. It's irrelevant

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:41:58 am

Here's a couple of references:
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1480-editing-the-tour-de-france-on...

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1487-the-bbc-adopts-final-cut-pro-...

For Drama, it's Avid Media Composer on PC.

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Oct 1, 2015 at 8:25:10 pm

Yes I'm afraid that is just not the case

We spent months filming with BBC national news and can categorically say- one last time - they are not using FCPX

It's not (once again) the nature of my post so I'm really going to politely disregard the FCPX stuff. If you use it great - knock yourself out. But the query is about how to solve the issue posted since it works very well in Yosemite - but not just yet for me.

And for those suggesting we go back run lion etc. (I hear you loud and clear ) but we have been upgraded to MBP 15 retinas 2015 free of charge so we need to deal with Yosemite and I'm really grateful for suggestions about how to get us back on track

If when we move to el Cap FCP 7 breaks then we'll do another hunt for broadcasters and film studios using FCPX - but well most likely work from AMC7

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:24:57 pm

"But please as I say can we not turn this into another fcpx debate. It's irrelevant"

you do realise you're the one who brought it up?

Return to posts index

Steve Rieck
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:14:12 am

hi Dom, sorry I don't have an immediate fix but I did want to report that I have three computers running OS 10.10.5 and Final Cut Pro 7 without issues... in fact I've been editing on one of them for three weeks straight with no problems at all. One thing you might want to try is creating a new user in the user and groups section of the system preferences. You could login as the new user and that might fix the problem? sometimes that sort of thing works for me.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Oct 1, 2015 at 2:02:27 am

Yosemite? They just launched El Capitan! That's what I want to hear about.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:54:51 pm

You like your FCP7? Don't touch El Capitan with a ten-foot pole!

Unless, of course, you like being on the bleeding edge. Ah, but wait -- you're on FCP 7, and that is definitely NOT on the bleeding edge.

If you really, Really, REALLY like your FCP 7, you'll just leave your current system as-is and get a new El Capitan system for whatever supposedly cool stuff it offers.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:57:48 pm

Even if you do somehow get it to load now, who knows what will or won't work once you bring it a clip or make a new sequence. You want a quick fix, but the only one guaranteed to get it back working the way it was before is to revert back to how you had it set up. Hopefully you have a time machine backup.

Support was dropped so long ago, I'm shocked to hear it works for some people in Yosemite. I'm always pleasantly surprised when the latest versions of Premiere Pro work in a new OS, let alone software from nearly 6 years ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]