FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improve audio within Final Cut 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Knowles
Improve audio within Final Cut 7
on Sep 27, 2015 at 5:54:02 pm

Hi
I recorded a few interviews recently with DSLR's and a Rode NTG2 connected to a Zoom H4N.
Although the zoom appeared to be recording, upon getting back to the computer no files were present.
Luckily I have the on-board DSLR recording, which would usually just be used to sync, however in this case its hopefully my salvation.
The audio isn't bad but also not great, is there any advice on making the audio sound more direct and focused, similar to how I would have got from the directional mic.
I also have soundtrack pro if that is a better option.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Improve audio within Final Cut 7
on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:54:00 pm

I'm guessing it sounds "hollow". You can't get that perfect, but Izotope can make it better, if you wanna throw money at it. If there's no money,just within FCP7, and maybe Soundtrack Pro or Audacity, I would suggest playing with the Parametric EQ and high and low shelf filters, to take out unneeded highs and bottom that are not in the human vocal range; this will help a *little* with the hollowness and reverb. Next, I'd play with audio compression, to give the vocal frequencies some "energy".

It's never going to be as good as the real thing done with a boom or lavs. But it may be enough. Adding room tone and music beds may also help cover up the problem a bit.

You say the computer didn't "see" any files from the digital audio recorder. It may be worth re-checking to make sure it isn't just a case of recording in a format that wasn't recognized, yet is still valid.

Return to posts index

Gary Knowles
Re: Improve audio within Final Cut 7
on Oct 3, 2015 at 6:13:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark, yeah that’s basically it, its sounds hollow rather than the audio coming from a direct source as you would with a shotgun mic.
From your advice I think I’m going to go down the route of Izotope, although being new to the software could you point me in the right direction of which aspect of the software I need to learn to improve my issue?
I’ve sent the card off to my local computer repair place to try data recovery from the card and no joy so looks like isotope is my only option.
Thanks again and in advance for any help you can be with the izotope software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]