FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma / Color Correction on FCP from Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Kreiner
Gamma / Color Correction on FCP from Avid
on Sep 19, 2015 at 2:06:47 pm

Hello CreativeCOW community!

I have a (hopefully) quick question. I'm not the most technically inclined but I'm not devoid of technical prowess but I'm unsure of a situation.

I am working on a film and when the colorist sent me back his hi-res exports, he sent them in DNxHD format (which I believe is AVID). When I put them into FCP. The colors appear to be washed out. When I open the file in QuickTime, it takes a few minutes to convert the file automatically, and the converted file has the fully realized colors.

Here's an example:

As you can see, the image on the left is the DNxHD file as it was sent to me directly imported into FCP. The file on the right is the version that has been converted by QT and then I inserted it in.

Why does it do that? Is it a codec issue? How can I solve it without adding another conversion in the process? I'm concerned about quality loss as the file on the left is 18GB and the file on the right is only 1 GB.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Gamma / Color Correction on FCP from Avid
on Sep 19, 2015 at 7:00:13 pm

What did your colorist use to grade? Can't they send you ProRes files? It's a very common format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Kreiner
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:53:19 pm

I believe he used Speedgrade. He said he didn't have the option. Is that the problem? The fact that it is in the AVID format?

Return to posts index

Matthew Kreiner
on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:12:58 pm

Also we used a LUT. Is it possible that FCP is ignoring the LUT information in the avid format?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:41:50 pm

The LUT would be baked in. No, it's that DNxHD isn't an FCP codec. FCP Classis needs ProRes.

The colorist needs to provide you with the proper file. Are they on a PC? If so, then you are stuck with this codec and will have to convert to ProRes via Compressor. But there is a history of gamma shifting when converting from DNxHD to ProRes, and the other way

If they are on a mac, they simply need to download the codec from Apple, and then render to ProRes.

Communication about this process and your needs should happen early on, before the grade. Typically when looking to hire a colorist. They need to meet your needs, or you find someone else

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matthew Kreiner
on Sep 20, 2015 at 12:20:06 am

Good point and fair lesson. They are on a PC so a trip to compressor seems to be the call. Thanks. Any further insight, I welcome gladly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 20, 2015 at 12:47:35 am

Well...hmmm...try this. Because I know that people have taken DNxHD Quicktime files from Avid into FCP to export them with multiple audio channels as a deliverable...when Avid couldn't do this.

Make a new sequence...drop the DNxHD clip into it. Click YES to change the settings. Do what you need to do...export a QT movie self contained QT, don't recompress. See what that looks like. FCP might not be able to display it properly, but might be able to export it properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 20, 2015 at 7:22:47 am

If I remember right, there's a setting in Avid where you set colour space to either RGB or YUV. FCP expects YUV from imported Quicktimes.

Not sure if this is the right answer.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:21:51 am

There is no AVID in the picture here just DNxHD because it is graded on a PC. I face the same issue with running Resolve on a PC. If it is going back into FCP7 then I export 10 bit Uncompressed YUV 4.2.2 becasue DNx will have a gamma shift.

This codec works but it is bigger files and takes more drive space & speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]