FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Murray
converting 4K
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:46:42 pm

when you shooting 4k do you have to convert it down to 1080p so you could edit in post ? if so what program is best to use,and can that program be used for go pro 4k as well . And when your done and it's time to export the footage , do you keep it in 1080p or you could convert it back to the original 4k footage

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: converting 4K
on Sep 19, 2015 at 7:39:24 pm

This all depends on what you will be delivering. Are you delivering 4K? or 1080p?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Murray
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:47:18 pm

I would guess i would be delivering in 4k . but what is the steps for both 1080 & 4k . i was told you can't export in 4k is that true ?.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:30:52 pm

Are you using FCP 7 or earlier? It will export 4K...but if you are delivering 4K, you might consider using Resolve. Use it to convert the footage to 1080p to edit, and then export an XML to relink to the masters.

But this is something you need to KNOW...you can't guess. And who will be doing the finishing?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ryan Murray
on Sep 21, 2015 at 4:17:57 pm

I'm using fcp 7 , also heard that MPEG is also good to convert the footage, that is what I use . Basically I have a GoPro and want to shoot 4K on a gh4 , whatever I shoot in 4K I would like to export it in 4K . The reason I said " I guess" is because I was told just to export the footage in 1080p and the export for 4K wasn't provided.
And I would be doing the finishing

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2015 at 7:01:30 pm

If you do offline/online editing...convert 4K to 1080...you need to do so in a way that will be able to track the metadata. MPEG STREAMCLIP won't. And this is a VERY tricky prospect with an application that was discontinued 4.5 years ago...last updated 5 years ago. Using camera tech that came out after it was discontinued, so all the normal ways to offline/online within FCP aren't available.

You might try editing 4K in FCP...but you need to convert the footage to ProRes 4444 4K, and then you need very VERY fast drives to store this on. Or you can use Resolve to convert the footage to proxy footage, edit, and then finish with Resolve (But you'll have to buy that...the free version tops out at 1080p resolution).

Or you can look at alternate software for editing, like FCX or Premiere, but Premiere, if you edit full res native, requires vast resources like fast processor, lots of RAM, and high end graphics cards. FCX will make a proxie to edit...you edit...then it'll relink to the master footage later.

YOu can do this with FCP 7...you just need a very fast RAID to do this at full res...or you need to add Resolve to the mix for offline/online.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]