FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting 5d Mii at 30fps and iPhone 6 at 30fps, will it sync?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Christopher
Shooting 5d Mii at 30fps and iPhone 6 at 30fps, will it sync?
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:32:58 am

I'm shooting a live music performance and will be using the 5dm2 as the main camera and an iPhone 6 as my wide cutaway camera. I'm going to set the fps on the 5dm2 to 30 and same with the iPhone 6. I'm going to have a soundperson record with a couple microphones with a mixer recording to a laptop with Felt Tip Sound Studio at 16bit 48khz.

Will there be any issues with sync? I would love to shoot at 24fps on the 5dm2 and 60fps on the iPhone to give a different look, but will this give me a headache? I plan on converting to Pro Res 422 then importing to FCP 7. Should I just keep both to 30fps to make my life easier or does it matter after the conversion? I'd be using MPEG Streamclip, I find Compressor clumsy.

Also, any issues with the AIFF from Sound Studio drifting from the video? Each clip will be about six minutes long. I'm shooting this at 6pm on Saturday the 19 (today). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
Re: Shooting 5d Mii at 30fps and iPhone 6 at 30fps, will it sync?
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:39:43 am

Also, do I make my sequence drop frame or not to match the 5dm2 at 30fps?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:21:29 pm

It's best to keep the frame rates the same to avoid headaches later on. I would recommend you install Filmic Pro on your iPhone. I gives you all the controls you would find on a pro camera and the ability to lock exposure, focus and white balance.

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:36:36 pm

Wow and thanks, downloaded the app, it looks great, I was worried about the the focus and exposure bouncing, now I can shoot everything in 24fps too. I just never thought to look for an app. It's great to have community help.

Do you happen to know if the 24fps from Filmic and the 5d2 will match, I think the Cannon is at 23.9something is the iPhone the same?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 19, 2015 at 7:41:40 pm

I believe that Filmic Pro does indeed record 23.98 when in 24fps mode but I can't be absolutely sure as I haven't used that setting myself. Good luck with the shoot and address any problems that might arise later. It would be good to know how things went.

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53:29 pm

Ok, so now the issue is I'm doing a master recording with Felt Tip's Sound Studio at 24 bit 48khz. Will that give me sync issues? Should I just go to 30 fps so be safe?

And thanks again for all your quick responses.

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:12:40 pm

Okay, just did a snyc test, recorded six minutes with 5d at 23.89, on the iPhone, Filmic is at a true 24fps so at the end of six minuted my slap was a hair after. The Sound Studio recording was fine.

So I'm going to convert the iphone footage to 23.98 and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this?

Is there another iphone app that will record video at 23.98 vs 24fps?

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:36:49 pm

So yes, anyone who uses Filmic and shoots 24fps, you will have to convert to 23.98. After this it syncs perfectly with Canon DSLR footage.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 20, 2015 at 2:56:46 pm

Thanks for posting your results, now we know for sure.

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 20, 2015 at 5:00:41 pm
Last Edited By Luke Christopher on Sep 20, 2015 at 5:08:06 pm

Well, I'm having another issue with the Filmic iphone app. I tested a six and seven minute clips to test sync. But maybe I should have tested a 30-min one as well. Not so much for the sync but to see if it can record that long.

As I said I was recording a live music performance. I recorded the last set that was about 30 minutes. On both iphones, and still, a full 15 hours after shooting is says, "Footage is Being Processed thank you for your patience."

Thank god I'm only cutting two of the four songs played. I shot whole 30 minutes with the 5d getting cutaways of the crowd, close ups and wides of the band. I just had this gut feeling not to trust the iphone footage. Now if these Filmic files don't eventually process, I'm going to have a nightmare in post cheating the footage. At least I had a sound person getting a nice recording as well.

I've wrote their support last night but no response yet.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 20, 2015 at 8:44:53 pm
Last Edited By Roger Poole on Sep 23, 2015 at 7:12:22 pm

I should have mentioned. Apparently if you have image stabilisation turned on it does take forever to process the captured footage. I watched a tutorial prior to getting the app and this issue was mentioned, so when I set Filmic Pro up for the first time I turned stabilisation off and have always used it that way.
That being said, 30 mins of video is going to use up a lot of space on an iPhone. Perhaps you have run into storage problems too.

Return to posts index

Luke Christopher
on Sep 20, 2015 at 9:33:07 pm

I don't think I had image stabilization turned on, they were on tripods.

I've found a solution, transfer the files from iTunes. Just drag them into the finder on the Mac. But they are two separate files, an unprocessed MOV and an M4a for the audio. I hope they are in sync. I'm transcoding both of them to 23.98 now.

I'm just annoyed the app does not have a 23.98 option.

I'll keep you posted to see if it works to sync their separate audio and video files, then match it up with the 5d footage and my soundboard recording.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]