FORUMS: list search recent posts

File converter makes file too big!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobin Duby
File converter makes file too big!
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:38:13 pm

There's probably an easy answer for this.

Part of my job involves receiving webinars from in-company instructors and uploading them to vimeo. Recently I've been required to start adding a logo sting to the beginning of each webinar.

I've tried merging the two files together with Wondershare video converter, and I've tried editing them together in Final Cut. Both methods increase the file size dramatically - Using wondershare to merge and process (at 600 kbps) can increase a 21 Mb file to 80 Mb!

I'm too ignorant about file conversion to understand where the extra "mass" is coming from. Wondering if there's a way to add two files and not have them end up humongous.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: File converter makes file too big!
on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:32:08 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:54:41 pm

Actually, 80 megs isn't bad at all! I wouldn't sweat it if it looks okay.

I regularly import 30-second video clips that run about 600MB. Some of the really hot editors here will giggle at how small they are.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2015 at 6:00:54 pm

FCP requires that the footage you import and work with be FCP codecs, like ProRes. And those files can get even bigger. So that means that you'll take the original...convert to ProRes...add the logo...then export for YouTube. Not the ideal for FCP. You might, or the company might, want to look into Premiere Pro, or FCX. Both can import the original source, add the logo, and then export for YouTube, without the need to convert to an editing codec.

If you don't convert to an editing codec before bringing into FCP 7...you risk issues like loss of sync, or not compressing the full video.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tobin Duby
on Sep 18, 2015 at 1:54:50 pm

Well, that explains it. I guess I'll have to live with it until I can upgrade!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]