FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XA20 and FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Burgess
Canon XA20 and FCP 7
on Sep 17, 2015 at 1:29:26 pm

Hi everyone:
I've just purchased a Canon XA20. Unlike with its predecessor, the XA10, I can't import the files into FCP 7 by using the camera with USB. I've tried transcoding the files to Apple ProRes 422 using Adobe Media Encoder, but get no audio. Anyone have a good workflow for these pesky AVCHD files created with an XA20? I love the camera but not this extra headache.. :)
Thanks!
Cindy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon XA20 and FCP 7
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:26:30 pm

Log and Transfer won't work? Hmmm...camera makers like to keep futzing with the AVCHD codec to make it "better," but in doing so that makes the older, 5 year discontinued FCP from being able to import.

BUT...there is a solution. EditReady will convert the footage, as will the older ClipWrap2...both from Divergent Media. EditReady just needs OS 10.9 or later...ClipWrap works with older OS versions.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cindy Burgess
on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:43:12 pm

Hey Shane - yeah, it kinda surprised me too! I've heard good things about ClipWrap but thought I better check here first to see if there was something I might be missing with FCP 7, or whether there might be a work around with programs I already have (Adobe Creative Suite CS5).
Thanks for your time!
Cheers,
Cindy

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:44:33 pm

Can't you just make a folder on your hard drive, read the sd card either from the camera using a usb cable or remove it and put it in a card reader, then drag the whole AVCHD file into the hard drive folder? Works fine on FCPX but it has been a while since I used FCP7. The XA20 can also record in MP4, which I prefer, but haven't tired to use that on 7. Unlike AVCHD, the MP4 files can be read one at a time.
Maybe FCP7 is missing a codec.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:49:10 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "Can't you just make a folder on your hard drive, read the sd card either from the camera using a usb cable or remove it and put it in a card reader, then drag the whole AVCHD file into the hard drive folder?"

That's actually the first step to any tapeless process...archiving the footage. That should be a moot point, as it should always be done.

[Claude Lyneis] " Works fine on FCPX but it has been a while since I used FCP7. "

Neither are in play at this point...that's all finder level stuff. Or, best to use offloading software that checks that ALL the files came over...like Shotput Pro.

[Claude Lyneis] "The XA20 can also record in MP4, which I prefer, but haven't tired to use that on 7."

FCP 7 doesn't work with MP4 files. You might be able to import them, but lots of issues arise when you try to edit them. Gotta convert to ProRes first. IF you did shoot MP4, then Log and Transfer won't work, you'll have to use Compressor to convert.

[Claude Lyneis] "Maybe FCP7 is missing a codec."

Nope...it just doesn't work with file natively. It is, after all, 5+ years old, discontinued 4.5 years ago.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:59:46 pm

Thanks, I blundered onto the FCP7 site by mistake, since I moved to X about 3 years ago with some difficulty, but now have become friends with X. I do have an XA10 and an XA20, but I guess I had moved to X before I got the XA20.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]