FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red render bars over all footage on macbook air but not imac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben smith
Red render bars over all footage on macbook air but not imac
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:24:39 pm

I'm using an iMac and a newer Macbook air, both with the same identical FCP 7.0 installed. When I try to edit the same project, from the same external hard drive, on the same FPC version, with the same exact identical user preferences, system settings, and audio/video settings, I get red render bars over all the footage when pulled into a sequence on the macbook air, but not on the iMac.

I've been pulling my hair out, can't seem to figure out what the issue is. The footage is all Prores 422, but I've also tried this with other codecs and run into the same issue. Even when I allow the program to automatically ask me if I want to match the external video settings to the sequence codec (prompted when dragging in the footage), and I say yes, the render bars still appear.

I've read about people editing in tcp 7 on a a macbook air, and I've never heard of fcp restricting rendering based on system specs, so someone please help me troubleshoot. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Red render bars over all footage on macbook air but not imac
on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:49:48 pm

Check the RT dropdown menu on the AIR...upper left of the timeline. Make sure it's set to DYNAMIC, and not SAFE.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

ben smith
on Sep 11, 2015 at 8:48:14 pm

Interesting, so my RT was set to SAFE. I switched it to UNLIMITED (it was already set to "dynamic" under "playback quality" subsection), and the red bars turned a faded orange, allowing me to view my clips in the timeline. Thank you!

That said, this tweak is unnecessary on my iMac (as I normally use Safe RT, with dynamic playback quality, and it is in fact set to that, without any red bar issues). Any idea why?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 11, 2015 at 9:39:34 pm

iMac's tend to have more powerful processors than the Air. The air is a basic machine...not really designed for editing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]