FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Final Cut Files to Sony Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Freeman
Exporting Final Cut Files to Sony Vegas Pro 13
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:42:17 pm

I am working with a client that recorded a bunch of videos using a Sony XDcam. The original files are camera masters. They were then run through a Sony app called XDCAM Browser, which prepares it for importing into Final Cut and stored on an Apple computer. Now, the want me to edit them and I use Sony Vegas Pro Ver. 13 on a PC.

My question is, does anyone know how to convert/export these files in a format Sony Vegas can import without re-rendering them to a different format? We don't want to do anything that will degrade the quality of the video or take excessive amounts of time to convert.

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
Re: Exporting Final Cut Files to Sony Vegas Pro 13
on Sep 16, 2015 at 6:10:31 pm

Well, yer in a Final Cut forum, so you're fishing with the wrong bait for some serious Vegas answers...

That being said, what sort of files do you like to use in Vegas? If you have the original XDCAMs, you ought to be able to run them thru XDCAM Browser again and transcode them to whatever format you like.

If all you have are the XDCAM Quicktimes that Final Cut likes to use, then I guess you're stuck with a transcode...

Return to posts index

John Freeman
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:16:22 am

I realize this is a Final Cut forum. I was hoping someone here had been through a similar issue.

We did find a solution. Here it is.

by Mike Kujbida on Sep 10, 2015 at 4:57:04 pm

John, I use a JVC HM-750 and it has the same shooting option that your client's camera does (i.e. record in mp4 or mov).
I discovered the first time that I shot in MOV that Vegas could not read the files and nothing I tried would work.
Then I read about my lifesaver utility :)
Go to the Nanoflash downloads section of the Convergent Design site and grab the free File Converter - XDCAM .MOV to .MXF (PC) utility.
Run your mov files through it. It rewraps them (no quality loss) from MOV to MXF and those can be used in Vegas.
I've used it a few times and recommended it to others and they've been very happy with the result.

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on Sep 17, 2015 at 2:49:37 am

Very good. Thank you, I now know a little something about Vegas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]