FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 User Giving Up on X and Thinking About Migrating To Premiere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
FCP7 User Giving Up on X and Thinking About Migrating To Premiere
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:45:18 pm

I am mainly a DP and every now and then I luck into a producing gig or have to finish through post in order to get the project. I am a good "rough" editor and then farm it out to pros for graphics, text, color grading and audio sweetening.

So a year ago I bought X, did the Lynda tutorials, etc. and just can't get my head around the timeline. I now officially give up. My question is: Should I continue with 7 knowing that it is no longer supported, or migrate to Premiere which I understand is more akin to 7? Obviously this forum must be happy 7 users, right? Is there no reason to give up on 7?

Thanks

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: FCP7 User Giving Up on X and Thinking About Migrating To Premiere
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:35:31 pm

Hi, Ned:

Eventually Final 7 is gona stop working so yes, you must learn a new NLE.

Premiere is similar to Final 7 in some regards so the transition is going to be easier than from
Final 7 to Final X. You'll also find a much faster NLE but also a lot buggier. If you work with people that use the Adobe suite the program's communicate rather well and also Premiere doesn't need you to transcode everything to Prores so you can save s lot of time.

So yes, please change. I have a love/hate relationship with Premiere but I hate even more to have to work with Final 7 again.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:49:24 pm

You could also take a look at Resolve and Lightworks: they have modes of working that may be a better fit for you.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:52:14 pm

Hi Daniel,

I have a question. What I will need for Premiere to do is be able to hand off a hard drive of an edit that I have 80% completed and another editor be able to finish it. Will Premiere do that? I understand that Adobe wants me to subscribe for it, which level should I get knowing that I do not want to learn graphics, etc.? I will just be doing basic editing myself.

Thanks,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Sep 8, 2015 at 7:19:36 pm

Hi

I use Resolve 12 beta now, and it is basically FCP8. So a lot of shortcuts are the same. It is for free, and the current NLE functionality is quite good. Especially since you only make rough cuts it should work pretty well for you. And you export an XML or EDL and hand that to the editors. You need a modern laptop to run it though, so download the latest configuration guide.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:31:58 pm

Yes, it´s not perfect but export an XML from Final 7 and import it in Premiere.

Just pay the single app subscription to adobe.

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on Sep 17, 2015 at 2:52:21 am

Premiere. Especially if you're just doing relatively simple edits.

Everyone I know who's migrated has been totally happy. I'm looking forward to the transition soon.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:45:10 pm

I've been working with Premiere CC on and off for a couple years but the bugginess and instability are major features. Adobe constantly updates the software to add new features and new bugs. They do fix some old ones.

I keep wondering if I should have jumped to Avid. But I'm in too deep with a legacy project now, working with PP CC "2013"
The multiple track-based concept of PP is much closer to FCP7 than what I understand of X. That's what attracted me.
PP works very differently from FCP in file handling in order to work with multiple camera formats.
Some pros I know transcode everything to ProRes for simplicity even though PP doesn't require that.
Good luck.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]