FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 Audio linking problem.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter hunt
Final Cut Pro 7 Audio linking problem.
on Sep 7, 2015 at 12:53:36 pm

Hello everybody posting here for the first time despite years of following threads.
Can one of you kind and wise people spend a minute to help or advise me please.

I am working on a 6 year feature film (Elevator Gods) Brit self funded indie - shot initially on Red in 2010, multiple formats - all imported converted to 422.

Im having difficulty with a small amount of 'stray audio' - when i slide blocks of video and audio on the timeline left and right - it picks up random pieces of audio from way down the timeline. I have pressed the 'unlink audio' button that seems to reduce the problem slightly but it's still a problem.

All pro res422 and sound at 44mhz. All music AIFF.

SETUP - FCP 7 Mac Pro with 3 ram slots beefed up.
Machine never been rebuilt in 6 years of use - did upgrade to FCP 7 three years ago.

Project media is spread across 5 external seagate drives. One of the drives is faulty - or 'read only' but doesn't seem to be causing the problem (I might be wrong).

Some audio has migrated down over the years -the project is covering 16 audio tracks now and am aware it's way too many and to the trained eye looks messy. Im just trying to achieve a working cut to raise more funds.

Has anyone come across this (picking up stray audio) problem when editing large project? Really appreciate any help or advise?

I've considered upping to FCP X but have been advised it could prove difficult (thoughts anyone).

Appreciate any feedback or help.
Yours Pete

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Audio linking problem.
on Sep 7, 2015 at 3:08:55 pm

Before you abandon the FCP7 edit, try this:
Open the FCP Render Manager and open the project's render files. Delete all the audio render files. Save the project, restart your machine, open the project and re-render the audio. It should be fine now.

If not, it may be high time to trash preferences, which I presume you know how to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

peter hunt
on Sep 7, 2015 at 10:23:39 pm

Thankyou Dave very kind. It seems to have worked so result there.
Have a good one sir.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:56:01 pm

Your audio should all be 48K rather than 44.1. FCP doesn't work well with audio rates at 44.1.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

peter hunt
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:33:34 pm

Yes sorry my mistake Tom - it's all at 48k but one or two bits have been at 44k but is a valid note thankyou you're a Gent.

One other question please if anyone or either of you kind Gentlemen can help would really appreciate it.

Dave kindly mentioned to eliminate stray audio when sliding the media around to trash all audio render files for that project and preferences. (Thanks Dave have now remedied 99% of my original problem).

My question (in addition to that) should I trash all historic render files that may relate to this project? Am i right in saying that there may be historic stored render files that may serve this project. I have a significant number of audio render files on my drives dating back three years.

The reason being I have a small amount of audio that consistently fail to connect properly when I reconnect media - e.g. same audio clip delivering different in and out points.

Any thoughts?
where do i send the bottles of wine for your helping me?? !
Thanks you guys you've really helped me push forward. Knowledge is true power.
Pete

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:05:38 pm

Three-year-old audio render files. Wow. Are you familiar with the term, "skating on thin ice"?

It's time to back up your project file for safety's sake, perhaps a couple of times (they're small). Then proceed.

I would export the audio that you think is in jeopardy as aiff files, reimport it, then use it to replace the original audio in a DUPLICATED edit timeline. Obviously this will be a painstaking process because you'll want to make sure you get all the iffy audio. You may not even need them -- you're doing this for safety's sake.

I would then trash FCP Preferences. Digital Rebellion makes a free Preferences Manager that lets you retain the preference settings before they get trashed. Very handy. Then I would get rid of those ancient render files using the Render Manager -- it's the only surefire way to delete them.

If all goes well, your problems are over. If not, you have backups.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 9, 2015 at 9:48:26 pm

And finally...
If I have a large project with much messing around with the timeline, once the picture is locked I will trash all of the render files and re-render the timeline again. That way the computer is not skipping all over the hard drives to play back many fragmented render clips from all the different revisions to the project. Rather it has only one set of freshly rendered files to play through. Less chance of something going wrong.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

peter hunt
on Sep 10, 2015 at 9:48:10 am
Last Edited By peter hunt on Sep 11, 2015 at 9:28:33 am

Hey Dave and Tom thankyou so much for your help. I have consistently removed renders from inside FCP so unless they exist somewhere else the project should be fairly clutter free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]