FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clients needs something easy to edit....4k DJI footage.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Johnston
Clients needs something easy to edit....4k DJI footage.
on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:41:12 pm

Thanks for any advice!

I shot some video with my DJI Inspire 1 for a client, he would like to edit it himself but has an older mac running FCP with a core duo. The 4k footage just won't work. I'm a PC guy. What codec in 720p would be best for me to batch output form Adobe Media Encoder 2015 so he an edit it more easily.

Thanks again!
Ty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Clients needs something easy to edit....4k DJI footage.
on Sep 2, 2015 at 9:48:13 pm

That's a conundrum. Because FCP only works with very specific codecs, chief among them being ProRes 422. But PCs cannot encode to ProRes. Not unless you buy a specific thing that will allow it (Forgetting what it is...you might need to google it).

Or...you convert to an intermediate codec, like Cineform or DNxHD and then they convert to ProRes. That would be the better solution. AND THEY MUST CONVERT!! FCP won't edit Cineform nor DNxHD all that well.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 2, 2015 at 11:36:12 pm

I would use the Avid DNxHD codec. Both you and the client will need to download it but it's free and doesn't suffer from gamma shifts when going to PC to Mac gamma. I would also send them 1080i and not 720p. A Core 2 Duo Mac should be able to handle 1080 HD and it would be a shame to down convert 4K all the way to 720 if you don't need to.

As Shane said, they will need to convert it to ProRes 422 on their end but don't forget to tell them to download the Avid DNxHD codec so that they can read your files.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tyler Johnston
on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:44:45 am

Thanks guys sounds like what I needed to do. Appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 3, 2015 at 2:46:57 pm

I know you already have your answer but... Back when the stock video companies needed a common HD format, motion JPEG was one such and FCP7 still "speaks" it.

Return to posts index

chris king
on Sep 16, 2015 at 9:31:24 am

Final Cut Pro X natively supports 4K ProRes, Sony XAVC and REDCODE RAW. However, the old version FCP X or Final Cut Pro 6/7 like many editors use 1080p as primary delivery format and will continue to do so for a long time. If you want to have a smooth 4K video and FCP workflow, you are advised to downscale DJI Inspire 4K to 1080p for further editing in FCP 6/7 and Final Cut Pro X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]