FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardrives for final cut pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reilly Bennett
Hardrives for final cut pro
on Sep 2, 2015 at 3:04:50 pm

I wanted to know, i am a student so obviously on a budget, Doing some editing in full hd 1920*1080p and wondering how big an external hard rive i should get. Also should I get a Firewire800, a usb 3.0 or a thunderbolt, seeing as i don't have usb 3 on my macbook pro 13 inch 2011, i would have to use the kanex adapter if i was to use usb 3.0 . I know thunderbolt is more expensive, so which should i use.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Hardrives for final cut pro
on Sep 2, 2015 at 5:59:47 pm

FULL HD only means 1920x1080. What you will be doing is converting it to ProRes 422. For that, a Firewire 800 drive would be fine. If you plan on playing back multiple layers of 1080...you'll need a faster drive with a faster connection....but one stream (layer) should be fine.

USB3 won't do, as your laptop lacks USB3

Thunderbolt would be best, if you have that connection type, but does the 2011 MBP have it? I know it has a DISPLAY PORT, but that's different than Thunderbolt. Make sure on that.

But if cost is a factor, and you are only doing one stream of ProRes....then a FW800 drive will be fine.

Look at the Mercury elite and Mercury Elite Pro ones from macsales.com

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Reilly Bennett
on Sep 2, 2015 at 9:09:14 pm

Thanks for your reply,I will be working allot with multi cam sequences. The compressed is set o ProRes 422.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2015 at 9:46:05 pm

Well then you are going to either shift to an offline/online workflow....using offline low res files on a FW800 drive...or get a RAID 0 Thunderbolt drive. You'll struggle to edit multiple ProRes files on a FW800 drive, even RAIDED. Speed tops out at ~85MB/s

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Reilly Bennett
on Sep 3, 2015 at 1:41:46 pm

What size should the drive be 500gb 1tb or 2tb

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:06:48 pm

Get as large as you can afford. Always good to have more room. 1TB minimum...but I like 4TB drives. Also depends on how much footage you have...and if you have multiple projects going on at the same time. And, for optimal drive speed, you need to leave 20% empty. So of 2TB, 200GB should be unused.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]