FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Rolling Horizontal Bands - FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Bright
DSLR Rolling Horizontal Bands - FCP 7
on Sep 2, 2015 at 11:03:20 am

Hi guys,
I've been given some DSLR footage that's been shot at 23.98fps (I need it at 25fps - these guys aren't pros), which isn't an issue since it's going to youtube, but they filmed with lights. It's mostly shot outside so not every shot is affected, but when they film with the lights or indoors I get rolling horizontal bands. They can't re-film it and the budget is non existent and so I now have the task of finding a way to reduce/ remove the banding without much cost. JOY!

I found a filter from Digital Anarchy called Flicker Free, which does the job but only if it's a static shot or if there isn't much movement. If there is then it causes ghosting because it's blending frames...

I'm running FCP 7, so if anyone has any ideas that may help then I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: DSLR Rolling Horizontal Bands - FCP 7
on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:45:03 pm

There's a youtube video out there showing how this problem can be solved or at least mitigated, using the color picker with the 3-way color corrector to select the slightly different shade made by the bands, and re-color those to match the normal walls in the shot. Gets rid of over 90percent of the problem.

Now, if only I can find it again... I posted it once before here, so a keyword search of posts with my name might turn it up.

Return to posts index

Sarah Bright
on Sep 2, 2015 at 3:56:52 pm

Ok, maybe a mixture of the 2 will sort the problem.
Obviously the only real fix for this is to not film it wrong in the first place but such is life.

If you find the link then let me know. Thanks

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:04:36 pm

Sara, I bookmarked this a couple of years ago thinking it might come in useful at some stage. I think this is the one that Mark was trying to find.

http://nofilmschool.com/2010/08/how-to-remove-horizontal-banding-artifacts-...

Good luck :o)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2015 at 6:43:18 pm

Yes, that's the one.

Return to posts index

Sarah Bright
on Sep 4, 2015 at 8:36:26 am

Awesome, thanks guys!

Return to posts index