FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7/1080p/4K monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rony Sokolov
FCP 7/1080p/4K monitor
on Aug 31, 2015 at 12:04:05 pm

Hi,
I'm about to buy an external monitor and I need your advice. I'm considering buying 24" (1920*1200) 27" QHD (2560x1440) or 27" UHD (3840*1260). Currently working with HD 1080p footage and not 4K and editing with FCP 7. I'm trying to figure out how 1080p footage will look on 4K monitor (I've read several threads about that and it...the more I read the more I get confused. some people say that 4K will look good only on 40" monitors).
I guess you can change the resolution by changing the settings of the monitor, but what if I just leave the settings on 4K and make the FCP's canvas a bit bigger (like setting the image size to 200% in the drop-down menu). Would the image still be OK? Color and image quality are important here.
I'm considering buying the 4K because I assume text will look sharper and also I will have more working space. If not, I'll get the QUH.
Anyone can assist me here?
Thanks a lot

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7/1080p/4K monitor
on Aug 31, 2015 at 3:12:11 pm

[Rony Sokolov] "Color and image quality are important here. "

Then don't use the FCP interface...the Source and Program monitors...to judge quality. They are not accurate. If you get a 4K COMPUTER DISPLAY...and use it with Photoshop, calibrating it with computer scopes...use it with FCX...that will be accurate. FCX is designed to be accurate. FCP 7...that interface...is not. For color accuracy you need an IO device, like the AJA Io4K or Decklink Multibridge Extreme 4K...and then a 4K broadcast monitor....which can get expensive. 4K computer display...might not be...maybe with HDMI in, it might.

But working from FCP 7, and trying to judge the quality based on what you see on the computer screen...that won't be accurate. Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rony Sokolov
on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:27:00 pm

Hi Shane,
Thanks so much for your reply. Both for the information and the writing style :-)
So lets say I'll upgrade to FCP X in few month and meanwhile work with Resolve Light. But the monitor...I need to make a decision now...Would it still make sense to buy 27" 4K monitor (like NEC EA275UHD) for working with 1080p in terms of quality? I mean, will there be some sort of reduce in quality? Or is it better to work with a native 1080p monitor (or 16:10, like NEC PA242)

Also...color gamut. For video I guess I need to work with sRGB or Rec 709.Do I need the Adobe RGB gamut that some pro monitors offer?
The same q for 14 bit LUT - if I'm working with MBP would something like that make a difference (I think mac's video cards are 8 bit)

So, yes...many questions. But honestly, I find this topic so confusing. I've been doing an on-line research about that for more than 2 weeks and I'm still confused (and frustrated!). Most computer stores do not have the more professional monitors on display - you can order it online. I really hope to tackle this thing once and for all. Really hope.........Thanks a lot :-)

Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:37:32 pm

OK...what is the destination of the videos you color grade? Web? BluRay? TV? I will admit that my expertise is in grading for TV, so I have the tools in order to do that. Those include IO devices like decklink.com and AJA.com provide...and then an external broadcast monitor by shopfsi.com. Even on the stuff I grade for the web, I use that setup.

If you grade for the web you might not need that...but you need to be sure your software interface is color accurate. I know FCX is, even though I don't use it. I hear that Resolve is as well, but I use an external monitor for this, so I cannot attest to it. My computer monitors aren't balanced for color accuracy, I just use them to get a general idea of what things look like, but mainly as a way to see what I'm cutting. I don't use a color scope to balance them...I rely on my external monitor for that.

So, I cannot advise on what computer display to get for color accuracy. I'll have to leave that for someone else. I just know that FCP 7 isn't color accurate. Resolve is. If Resolve allows you to use one of your computer displays as a full screen playback...and that is accurate (Again, I don't know) then I can see doing this. I do know that their small playback windows can be accurate.

But a computer store typically isn't a place to find color accurate, professional level grading monitors.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rony Sokolov
on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:17:02 pm

Thanks again Shane.
I'm doing mostly video-art/experimental film: final destination is (1) web (2) galleries/museum (they use all kind of projectors) and (3) dedicated film festivals. In general I think I don't need to be as accurate here as the film and TV industry.

Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Mar 20, 2017 at 1:17:20 pm

Hello Shane,

Deadline to complete all post in audio/visuals is in two month and I am worried that I am not finding a solution for a current problem.

I am on a MacPro with OS 10.8.5 and Final Cut 7.0.3 now entering color correction and grading for a 5 year project in 1080p HD.
I have a 10 bit color grading monitor (NEC PA272W) that meets my needs. But with my current Nvidia GTX 770 there is banding, probably due to displaying 8 bit only. The material is in 10 bit Prores 422 (HQ).
From what you wrote, now I know that there is also inaccurate color from FCP 7.

I am having no luck finding out what I/O card might work today on a Mac Pro 5,1 - OS 10.8.5, with FCP 7.0.3.
All I am finding shows compatibility with latest OS only.

Maybe you have some pointers as to where I might be able to buy an I/O AJA or Blackmagic Design card that will give me:

10 bit accurate color
On 1080p HD 30 fps (27.97)
From FCP 7.0.3
On a 12 core Mac Pro mid 2010
Working drivers for OS 10.8.5
With a 10 bit Output from DisplayPort or HDMI

You opinion is very appreciated,

Alex

Alex Vargas
filmmaker/composer/sound design
Macpro 5,1 12 core 64GB RAM - ATTO ExpressSAS R680 - 16 Bay RAID
Macbook Air
FCP 7 Logic 9 Premiere After Effects

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Mar 20, 2017 at 1:24:43 pm

Hello Shane,

Deadline to complete all post in audio/visuals is in two month and I am worried that I am not finding a solution for a current problem.

I am on a MacPro with OS 10.8.5 and Final Cut 7.0.3 now entering color correction and grading for a 5 year project in 1080p HD.
I have a 10 bit color grading monitor (NEC PA272W) that meets my needs. But with my current Nvidia GTX 770 there is banding, probably due to displaying 8 bit only. The footage is in 10 bit ProRes 422 (HQ).
From what you wrote, now I know that there is also inaccurate color from FCP 7.

I am having no luck finding out what I/O card might work today on a Mac Pro 5,1 - OS 10.8.5, with FCP 7.0.3.
All I am finding shows compatibility with latest OS only.

Maybe you have some pointers as to where I might be able to buy an I/O AJA or Blackmagic Design card that will give me:

10 bit accurate color
On 1080p HD 30 fps (27.97)
From FCP 7.0.3
On a 12 core Mac Pro mid 2010
Working drivers for OS 10.8.5
With a 10 bit Output from DisplayPort or HDMI

You opinion is very appreciated,

Alex

Alex Vargas
Macbook Air

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 21, 2017 at 1:06:04 am

You'll need to look for an AJA Kona 3, or Kona LHi. Should be a few on eBay. AJA might have older drivers for them...email if you need.

Luckily, the HDMI out of those cards is 1.3, and that supports 10-bit.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Mar 21, 2017 at 1:41:07 pm

Thanks Shane,

I've been focused on Blackmagic Design models, but I can start looking as Konas now ☺

Again, thanks for your input,
Alex

Alex Vargas
Macbook Air

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]