FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH3 and FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
GH3 and FCP7
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:28:53 am

I have just placed an order for a GH3... I will be moving out of the Canon DSLR realm and into the micro 4/3 world but my main concern is what to expect in FCP 7 (yes I am still using it... no I don't want to move to FCX or Premiere for now)
I know this camera has been out for years so I am sorry to bring up an old camera topic, but I'd like to know what I can expect as far as issues in editing? Do i have to transcode still? And it seems I'm reading a lot about audio drift but I can't figure out what causes it or what to do about it...
Thanks for your time guys
jared

Mr Shane- always look forward to your responses... thank ya sir

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GH3 and FCP7
on Aug 27, 2015 at 7:35:52 am

[Jared Smith] "Do i have to transcode still?"

Mr. Shane here...

Yes. That camera doesn't shoot a format FCP edits. I believe that shoots H.264 and AVCHD. And there is no Log and Transfer plugin for it, so you'll have to convert with Compressor, MPEG STREAMCLIP if you shoot H.264 Quicktime....and EditReady or another software converter if you shoot AVCHD. Convert to ProRes 422.

I haven't heard of a sync drift issue. Just make sure you shoot 23.98 or 29.97...and not 24fps straight, 30fps straight.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Aug 27, 2015 at 1:17:37 pm

Thanks for the response shane. I knew I could count on you. The camera offers a MOV file type and that's what I was hoping would dump right onto the timeline. Well darn!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:46:25 pm

Yeah...no. There is not ONE camera out there that shoots a format that can be directly brought into FCP without converting. There are external recorders that offer that option. But cameras themselves, no. They all capture to a compressed format, to enable them to record onto the SD cards, and save space.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Aug 27, 2015 at 4:54:45 pm

It is a somewhat old camera, but I looked at the JVC HM 100 for a while because all the press release mentioned being able to drop it straight into Final Cut

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 27, 2015 at 5:36:11 pm

Yeah, THAT one could. But it's VERY old (8+ years), and only shoots 720p.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]