FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange screen size.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Strange screen size.
on Aug 24, 2015 at 7:55:14 pm

I've create a 720P video for a client. They want to have the video resized to fit an ipad image on their website. They are asking me to resize the video to 612 x 459. I don't even think that ratio is correct.

How would I resize the video into a strange size like this?

Can someone advise me here? Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Strange screen size.
on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:52:17 pm

I'd do it in Motion. I'd make the screen size per the client's request, then scale and position the video as necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Strange screen size.
on Aug 24, 2015 at 11:38:08 pm

Or Compressor...or Adobe media Encoder...or Squeeze. Adjust to the size you want, H.264...compress.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Dave and Shane
on Aug 24, 2015 at 11:44:16 pm

But converting that from 1280 X 720 makes it more square than 16:9. It will have black bars on top and bottom, or else things won't necessarily center up well. Correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2015 at 12:26:41 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 25, 2015 at 12:52:04 am

Using Motion, you can fill the screen. You'd just have to decide what gets cut off. Or if anything gets cut off.

Personally, I think those guys are probably off base on their dimensions, and once you deliver precisely what they want, you'll be doing it again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 25, 2015 at 4:33:30 am

612 x 459 is 4:3 which is the *exact* aspect of the iPad screen. The original iPad 1 & 2 and iPad mini are 1024x768 px (which is 4:3). The new Retina iPad's are 2048x1536 px (still 4:3) so the customer is giving you the correct aspect. I assume the simulated iPad frame on their web site has a 612 x 459 area for the video to show through the middle. This makes sense to me.

The question is do they expect the video to fill the 4:3 screen or be 16:9 letterboxed? 16:9 video does display letterboxed on an iPad but the customer might want it to fill the screen in which case I would crop to 4:3. You can do this right in Compressor as long as it doesn't crop important information on the sides.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:47:45 pm

[John Rofrano]: “612 x 459 is 4:3 which is the *exact* aspect of the iPad screen.”

Apparently the client is going for the lowest common denominator in that case.

[John Rofrano]: “16:9 video does display letterboxed on an iPad but the customer might want it to fill the screen in which case I would crop to 4:3. You can do this right in Compressor as long as it doesn't crop important information on the sides.”

Indeed! The virtue of doing this in Motion (or After Effects) is the ability to animate position and scale to accommodate wide graphics, or graphics favoring one side or the other. I don’t know if Compressor allows this flexibility, but I doubt it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:41:54 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Apparently the client is going for the lowest common denominator in that case."
No, I beleive that Greg said, "They want to have the video resized to fit an ipad image on their website. " So this is a video that is going to play in a web page, not on a actual iPad. At least that's what it sounds like.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]