FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH A1 through FCP 7 to G Drive Mobile with Thunderbolt issue..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael West
Canon XH A1 through FCP 7 to G Drive Mobile with Thunderbolt issue..
on Aug 21, 2015 at 4:03:06 pm

Transferring footage from Canon XH A1 through Final Cut Pro 7 to G Drive Mobile with Thunderbolt (scratch disk, newly purchased) creates only a document icon ('Kind: Document') on the G Drive Mobile.
Normally I would expect a .mov file.
The footage comes into FCP 7 as a sequence which is usable on the timeline, but when I try to export as an .xml to use in PP CS 6, it doesn't work.
Are there settings for transfer in FCP 7, or the camera, I have missed?
Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon XH A1 through FCP 7 to G Drive Mobile with Thunderbolt issue..
on Aug 21, 2015 at 6:03:58 pm

That camera shoots HDV. You need to connect it to the computer via Firewire, and Log and Capture it...using the HDV Easy Setup.

Now...this HDV file...the codec FCP uses...is proprietary to FCP. YOu need a computer with FCP on it in order to see it. If you want this in Premiere, why don't you capture with premiere?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Aug 21, 2015 at 7:00:33 pm

Shane:
Thanks for the rapid response.
I will check my settings when I get home.

The camera connects to the IMac via the included camera firewire chord hooked to a Thunderbolt extension.

The problem with importing into PP CS 6 is that it makes a .mp3 file.
My research indicates this is not an uncommon problem.
A resolution seemed to be to import into FCP 7, them export as a .xml, then bring that into PP CS 6.

Again, thanks.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 21, 2015 at 8:25:32 pm

You have your capture settings wrong in Premiere Pro then...you are only capturing audio. MP3 is an audio file.

Now...when you capture with FCP...you get a MOV file...a quicktime file. Why are you exporting an XML from FCP to Premiere? You only do that if you are converting a cut. Go to the Capture Scratch folder and drag the Quicktime MOV into Premiere...or go the Media Browser route. But you bring the file in directly...no xml needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Aug 21, 2015 at 9:19:55 pm

Shane:
For this project, the settings for the camera and PP are 1080 60i, HDV.
Can you suggest an area in the settings I may have overlooked?
If not, I will sift through them tonight to see what I can see.
Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 22, 2015 at 1:37:26 am

Sorry, I have yet to capture tapes in PPro. I mainly use Avid...I use PPro for mostly tapeless stuff.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Aug 26, 2015 at 9:57:16 pm

Shane!
I solved the problem with getting the footage to be in a format I can use.
My problem now is, even after purchasing the G Tech Thunderbolt 1TB external hard drive, trying to multicam edit four cameras still drops frames ("your disks are slow", etc.)
I used 4 Canon HG20 cameras.
Getting a Raid Array is not in the cards financially at the present time, so I scrounged around the 'net looking for answers.
Research lead me to discovering the concept of OFFLINE EDITING to help ease the burden on the system.
Would using this procedure help lighten the load on my system (IMac, I7, 16bg ram)?
If so, what proxy codec would you recommend using when bringing the footage into the system?
Thanks again.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 27, 2015 at 12:14:27 am

Multicam editing with HDV as HDV is definitely bear! It's a complex format...that's the issue. If you converted to ProRes, then it would be a drive speed issue. Well, it might be both, when HDV is concerned.

OK...keeping all your HDV footage on line...use the Media Manager to RECOMPRESS to ProRes Proxy. Edit with that, and then when done, take the PROXY files offline (move them...hide them from FCP) and then relink to the HDV masters.

TEST THIS!! I haven't done this. I've either directly captured HDV as HDV and edited that or captured HDV as ProRes...getting fast enough drives to deal with it. OR...in one case...using a good HDV deck with deck control and a capture card (not via firewire) captured HDV as Offline RT (a long long time ago), and then when editing was done, batch captured as ProRes.

But as I said, that requires a specific HDV deck and a capture card. If you only capture via firewire, you have to try it the way I describe. But test it...convert one clip using the media manager. Do a fast simple edit...take the ProRes Proxy footage offline, try to relink to the master HDV footage.

ALWAYS test the workflow if you haven't done it before.

Man this would be easier if you were using FCX...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:00:00 pm

Shane:
Back again.
I figured out that you were talking about Offline Editing, which, from further research, appears to be the answer to my 4 camera dilemma.
I've been fiddling (testing, to use your terminology)with this process in Final Cut Pro 7 (my software of choice. PP was a trial, to see if it was better.)
It seems to work, although more testing is in the offing.

My question is, when you say "take the PROXY files offline (move them...hide them from FCP)", what process do I use to do this?
My original files are on my G Drive, as are the Proxy.

Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:04:38 pm

First off, here are a couple methods to the offline/Online. First, making offline proxies of the full res media you already have:

http://www.lafcpug.org/events/nab_supermag_08.html

Second...importing from camera masters as offline, then reimporting only footage used in the project at full res:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Now....

[Michael West] "My question is, when you say "take the PROXY files offline (move them...hide them from FCP)", what process do I use to do this?"

Make a new folder on the drive and drop them in there. You are removing them from the file path FCP is used to them being at. When they aren't there, FCP goes, "Hey, where are these files?" At that point, you point it to the full res media.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:38:18 pm

Shane:
Thou rockst as none before.
Michael

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Sep 11, 2015 at 7:11:09 pm

Shane:
following up on your "Man this would be easier if you were using FCX..." quote.
As stated, I am an amateur/hobbyist who still wants to turn out a worthwhile project for my "clients".
Rather than invest in Adobe CC (overkill, really), do you recommend X as a "step up" from 7?
I just started looking at tutorials for X and it seems to be a good product. Some nice features.
Color Match and the multicam workflow come to mind.
Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 11, 2015 at 7:13:08 pm

I cannot personally vouch for it, because I don't use it. Many others do say that it is a HUGE step up, and very powerful. It is VERY different from how FCP 7 works, and it will take getting used to. There is a 30 day free trial so you can test for yourself.

The cool thing about it is that if you buy it once, every single update after that is free. Every update since it came out has been free to people who own it. So there's that...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:39:09 pm

Shane:
Just a little follow up.
Bought FCPX and am loving it!
It's crushing the multicam edits.
Because I like to shoot 4-5 cameras, I had to by a larger G Tech 3TB external, but it was worth it.
Thanks for the "nudge" in that direction.
Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]