FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to convert a .mov to .mpg

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Fullerton
How to convert a .mov to .mpg
on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:05:12 am

Hey all.

I am trying to figure out how to convert a .mov to .mpg. I have searched the forums and I came across many posts about converting .mpg to a .mov but I need it the other way around.

I have a client that want a video to loop, they have an old dvd player and want to run it off pen drive on that. The only format it seems to take is .mpg I live quite far away so I can't even check it out myself, currently working over skype with a member of their staff testing out different file formats.

I haven't seen a .mpg in years and not sure how to convert. I tried handbrake & mpeg streamclip but couldn't find .mpg option. I told them to try .mp4 but they said it doesn't work.

Any suggestions,

Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: How to convert a .mov to .mpg
on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:15:28 am

Compressor has lots of Mpeg presets, mainly in the DVD section.

do they want a DVD?

nick

Return to posts index

Stephen Fullerton
on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:57:52 am

Hi Nick, thank you for your reply. I don't have compressor but have considered it for some time, perhaps now is finally the time to buy it.

They want it to play on a dvd player but not a dvd, the idea is they want to change the video quite frequently, with updated products (which is good news for me) so they don't want it on a dvd but rather an removable pendrive. Meaning I can send them updated video and they can just save to pen and put on screen.

I have been messing about on my old mbp and some older programs seem to be offering me a solution, whatever version of VLC I have on old laptop, is different to my imac and seems it offers .mpg as an export. Only problem is the sound didn't export, but that may be a simple mistake I made. Also the current video they want has no sound so it wouldn't matter anyway. just waiting on word back from them to see if my tester works.

Fingers crossed...

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 19, 2015 at 12:50:47 pm

VLC? not many options for export there, from memory.
might not be the best tool for the job.

Adobe Media Encoder might be worth looking at, too.
i cant say what's on it, mpeg-wise, but i hear good things about it.

nick

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Aug 19, 2015 at 4:23:26 pm

I would convert to an Mpeg 4 which will play on virtually anything that has a usb slot. MPEG Streamclip will do that for you for free.

Return to posts index

Stephen Fullerton
on Aug 20, 2015 at 11:59:26 am

Hi Roger thanks for your reply, I tired to convert as mpeg 4 on Mpeg Streamclip but it comes out as a .mp4 file which apparently does not work on the dvd player in question...

I ended up getting name of DVD and I emailed the company, they advised that .mp4 should work but the pen drive in question should have nothing on it but the file that they wanted played, I am hoping this will work and I wont need to worry about converting.

I always thought that .mp4 was mpeg4 but apparently not...

@Nick, yeah VLC was sorta last resort, will take a look at that Adobe Media Encoder, thanks for recommendation.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Aug 20, 2015 at 2:11:49 pm

Perhaps your clients should dispense with the DVD player. All modern TV's have a USB slot and will play MP4's from a USB stick quite happily. The stick can have other files on it, but perhaps they are worried about security issues. Once into the USB menu on the TV choose the movie, or the first one in the queue, they will play one after the other. I would think it's a better option than lugging a DVD player around when it's not needed in this case. Try it yourself before you send it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 21, 2015 at 2:20:44 pm

I have to agree with Roger, seems like the client is limiting their own options with the DVD player. Sounds like it is an older model and since DVD is standard-definition, that's the best quality they would get out of it is SD.

Why not invest in a NEW Blu-ray player with USB port, maybe $60, and that WILL play .mp4 files - in HD!! Video looks better = their product looks better.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Stephen Fullerton
on Aug 28, 2015 at 2:31:30 pm

Good ideas coming here guys thanks.

I will def get them to check if the TV has a USB slot, this would save a lot of effort.

If not perhaps Jeffs soloution is best, a blueray player should work fine.

I appreciate all the feedback, many thanks.

Return to posts index

hassan aljaber
how to capture the xf canon 105 video to final cut 7
on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:59:07 am

Hi,
Any one can help me with how to log and transfer the video pictures from the Canon Xf 105 to final cut pro 7? is there a plugin or way to do that?
Thanks

Return to posts index

hassan aljaber
how to capture the xf canon 105 video to final cut 7
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:02:52 am

Hi,
Any one can help me with how to log and transfer the video pictures from the Canon Xf 105 to final cut pro 7? is there a plugin or way to do that?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]