FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Music Levels Have a Ghost in the Machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Macary
FCP 7 Music Levels Have a Ghost in the Machine
on Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07:37 pm

I've placed music from a band into a Final Cut Pro 7 timeline and adjusted levels. Everything is good sounding in FCP. But when I export it, the levels can be mercurial to the point that they change on their own. People speak and the music is hot. Not so in the timeline. This only happens to the music files where are in the 9th or 10th audio track.

I try quitting and restarting, then replacing files in FCP, and changing the levels. All sounds good. Export and the levels aren't good.

The interview audio is 48 kHz. The music was recorded in 44.1. We are mixing the audio sample rates I acknowledge. But we have no issues with other 44.1 tracks (sound FX and intro closer music). The project timeline is in 48 kHz.

The audio files are .wav, but I have other .wav files in the timeline without an issue. Namely this is the opening and closing music.

Your time and consideration are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 7 Music Levels Have a Ghost in the Machine
on Aug 18, 2015 at 10:48:17 pm

You really ought to convert those 44.1 files to 48k.

Why invite trouble? It's like tossin' a hand grenade in the air repeatedly and saying, "I've been doing this for an hour now, and it hasn't exploded yet!"

You should ALSO open the FCP Render Manager, open the renders for your project within it, and delete all the audio renders. Then re-render audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jared Macary
on Aug 18, 2015 at 10:55:59 pm

LMAO. That is probably the best response I've gotten for some time when seeking help for anything.

I believe you speak the bare truth re: audio wavelengths. The band and I are looking into altering the audio files without compromising the integrity.

Makes complete sense re: delete all audio renders then re-rendering them as a unit. Perhaps the numerous renders of music tracks effectively "gummed up" the system and a reset may be warranted.

Thank you for your quick response, Dave. I'm traveling now, will put these to use following my trip, and return to this thread. Hope you (and others) are around.

Jared

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 18, 2015 at 11:24:42 pm

Soundtrack Pro will do a fine job of converting 44.1 to 48. So will Adobe Audition. So will the freebie application Audacity.

Compared to video, audio's a cakewalk.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jared Macary
on Aug 19, 2015 at 12:18:39 am

Ha! I can hear the audiophiles gathering pipes and bats to hunt you down.

It's interesting. Putting a 44.1kHz music file in Soundtrack Pro then exporting in 48kHz renders no alteration in fidelity, etc.

But when I put the same 44.1 file in Audacity and export at 48 there is a perceptible difference. Notably a faster play with related pitch shift. Is this one of those "you get what you pay for" deals?

Will have to pursue this change with Soundtrack Pro for all files, then when reunited with the project and media drive, swap out the old for the converted files in the timeline, and export to see if it all our talk held up.

Appreciate the ear and availability, Dave. I'll be back like Arnold says - with good news or looking for another solution.

Jared

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 19, 2015 at 12:40:28 pm

if you are able to, the best option would be to re-export the files from your music creation app (ProTools?) as 48k 24bit.

most audio for video is 24bit these days.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 20, 2015 at 12:12:35 am

Audacity is capable of sample rate conversion but you must be driving it incorrectly if it changes length or pitch.

FCP overall is not a very good audio tool. You would get a better result exporting and mixing in a DAW (sound Track Pro is already there) and bringing a mixed wav file back in. DAWs will not be troubled by sam[le rate conversions and they have better EQ and dynamics controls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]