FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merged Clips - Should I?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Audrey-Anne Dugas
Merged Clips - Should I?
on Aug 15, 2015 at 7:56:32 pm

Hi there,

(English is not my first language, sorry if I sound like a 3rd grader)

I am at the beginning of the editing process of a short film. The audio was recorded externally with a H4N device, I then synced all of the footage directly in different timelines, removing the sound of the camera and replacing it on the audio tracks with the WAV files. I synced this way because I was used to derush and edit directly in the sequences, but I am currently liking more and more editing via my clips in the browser ans with keeping only one video track. I would now like to take my clips that are linked to my H4N audio in the timeline and merged them so I can edit using match framing and so on. My only issue is that I heard that merging clips this way (taking them form the timeline) can cause problems with relinking and when then time comes to relink the files via XML in DaVinci.

Have you ever had issues with merged clips that come from the timeline, or am I just paranoid?

Thanks for your help guys!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Merged Clips - Should I?
on Aug 16, 2015 at 12:29:28 am

I think you maybe miss-heard
I've never heard that,
But more importantly, I've never had any problems with merging clips.
I do it all the time, and never have problems down the track

Perhaps you were thinking of subclipping,
That can cause some problems when interacting with other apps

Nick

Return to posts index

Audrey-Anne Dugas
on Aug 16, 2015 at 2:37:06 pm

Hey Nick, thanks for your reply!

What a TD actually told me is that merged clips are fine when you go trough the Modify menu, it is taking the video and audio linked in the timeline and merging them by dragging them in the browser that seemed to be an issue. But if you tell me that you do this all the time without any problems, I'm glad.

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 17, 2015 at 2:31:45 am

" taking the video and audio linked in the timeline and merging them by dragging them in the browser that seemed to be an issue"

i suspect that is also an OLD issue.
for the record, i avoid DRAGGING to the browser, as that can sometimes not work the way you expect it to:
it will go through a process of "Crating New Master CLips" and you can lose what ever formatting you've done in the timeline.
i tend to COPY to the browser.

this is not such an issue with synced and linked clips
but for the most part my methodology with them is slightly different again.

we go thru our synced timeline, and each clip gets linked,
opened into the viewer,
and made into a subclip.

this truncates any overlapping audio, which is just a preference of mine, it's not essential.
the picture itself is not subclipped in anyway, so i don't get the possible problems associated with that.
we use Quickeys Macros to to this boring and repetitive work.

nick

Return to posts index

Audrey-Anne Dugas
on Aug 17, 2015 at 6:28:30 pm

Great! Thank you very much for your answers Nick!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]