FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon c300 : Start in FCP 7 and transfer project to Avid Media Composer 8

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Stewart
Canon c300 : Start in FCP 7 and transfer project to Avid Media Composer 8
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:29:54 pm

I have an interesting challenge for an upcoming project.

Basically we will begin editing in FCP 7 and then transfer the project to an editor who works in Avid MC 8.3.

The edit will be very basic with limited titling, effects or motion graphics. We plan on using Automatic Duck 5 exporter to transfer the project to Avid.

The complicated aspect is that we will be working with HD footage shot on the Canon c300, which is XMF based. We plan to use the Canon Utility or MXF Converter for Mac to log and transfer the footage and maintain a DNxHD 175 codec for our sequences in FCP 7.

With all of these different settings and the MANY posts and articles I've read of editors struggling to work with c300 footage in FCP 7, I'm trying to anticipate any potential speed bumps or problems we might have.

One potential pitfall I'm afraid of is that I understand Avid is able to work with MXF files directly, without transcoding them. I'm afraid of producing an inferior image quality by capturing to FCP first. Also, will Avid play nice if we start to then incorporate raw MXF files that are edited in later?

Any and all thoughts and advice on making this workflow work well would be MUCH appreciated!

------------------

FOOTAGE
- Canon c300 XMF 1080p : 23.97 frames

------------------

STAGE 1 : Capture and begin editing in FCP 7
- Capture footage from CF cards using Canon Utility or MXF Converter for Mac
- Project/Sequence : 1920 x 1080, 23.97, DNxHD 175
- Export project using Automatic Duck 5

------------------

STAGE 2 : Transfer project from FCP 7 to Avid and continue editing
- Import AAC to new project in Avid MC 8.3
- Reconnect all referenced media
- Project Settings: 1080p, 23.97, color: YCbCr, DNxHD 175
- Note: Will will import additional MXF files into avid

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon c300 : Start in FCP 7 and transfer project to Avid Media Composer 8
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:05:54 am

[Shaun Stewart] "Basically we will begin editing in FCP 7 and then transfer the project to an editor who works in Avid MC 8.3."

Why? Why not start in Avid and stay in Avid? You cannot convert an entire project from FCP to Avid...only sequences, Even with Automatic Duck... SEQUENCES ONLY...not all the media, not the full organization of the project.

[Shaun Stewart] "The edit will be very basic with limited titling, effects or motion graphics"

Titles will transfer, but will all need to be redone, as the transfer is very bacic. ZERO effects/plugins will transfer. Motion graphics? If something rendered out of After Effects, sure. But if a move on a still...that won't port over either.

[Shaun Stewart] "The complicated aspect is that we will be working with HD footage shot on the Canon c300, which is XMF based. We plan to use the Canon Utility or MXF Converter for Mac to log and transfer the footage and maintain a DNxHD 175 codec for our sequences in FCP 7."

FCP likes FCP media...ProRes. DNxHD is a tiny bear to edit in FCP...sluggish.

[Shaun Stewart] "With all of these different settings and the MANY posts and articles I've read of editors struggling to work with c300 footage in FCP 7, I'm trying to anticipate any potential speed bumps or problems we might have."

Speed bumps: Trying to start an edit in FCP, convert the footage, organize it, and take it to Avid. The work involved in getting things from FCP to Avid, rebuilding the titles, redoing some of the effects...the need to import and consolicate ALL of the raw media and organize the project again...that's a lot of man hours, and the transfer won't be 100%.

[Shaun Stewart] "One potential pitfall I'm afraid of is that I understand Avid is able to work with MXF files directly, without transcoding them."

Yup. Avid can AMA link directly to the C300 files. BUT...as always with AMA, even though they are MXF, it's best not to edit directly from the camera files. CONSOLIDATE them to the media drive. That's basically just a straight up copy, just putting into the Avid Media structure.

My adivce...skip FCP. You'll be doubling your work, and will have to spend a lot of time fixing whatever cutting you did in FCP to begin with.

Why even start down the wrong road?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]